Research Developer- Benchmarking
Burnaby, British Columbia /
Research & Development – Application Development Technologies and Tools /
Despite the power of today’s supercomputers, there are many complex computing problems that can’t be addressed by conventional systems. D-Wave Systems believes that quantum computing has the potential to help solve some of the most complex technical, scientific, national defense, and commercial problems that organizations face.
From inception, D-Wave has focused on following the fastest path to practical, real-world applications that deliver customer value. Today, we offer a full stack of systems, software, developer tools, and services to enable enterprises, governments, laboratories, and academic institutions to access the power of quantum computing. To meet our goals, we are are seeking a Research Developer to join the Benchmarking Team in Burnaby BC Canada (Vancouver BC area).
In this role, you will implement and evaluate various optimization and sampling algorithms, as well as maintain and expand a framework (involving Python, C++ and Linux) for benchmarking D-Wave's quantum processors and hybrid algorithms against various classical solvers. You will help organize and maintain a database of algorithms, problem sets, and results which will facilitate the evaluation of D-Wave's quantum annealers versus classical alternatives.
- Implementing algorithms for combinatorial optimization and sampling based on design discussions and/or high-level descriptions
- Working to expand and improve a Python framework for managing benchmarking experiments and results
- Developing tools for data analysis and visualization of experimental results
- Working with a diverse group of technical experts to incorporate their expertise into software projects
- Follow best practices in software engineering
- Bachelor's degree (M.Sc. an asset) in Computer Science, Operations Research, Mathematics, Physics or the equivalent education and experience
- Experience developing software in Python and C++
- Experience in the software development cycle, documentation, and source control management
- Experience with exploratory and graphical methods of data analysis
- Strong understanding of probability and statistics
- Ability to clearly understand, articulate and implement algorithms based on scientific research papers
- Experience designing and developing complex algorithms
- Experience in combinatorial optimization and discrete mathematics is an asset
- Knowledge of graph theory is an asset
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms, Monte Carlo sampling methods, and/or statistical physics is an asset
- Strong organizational and decision making skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment that is focused on setting priorities, keeping to milestones, and delivering practical results
- Self-motivated, proactive, flexible and passionate about learning
This role is a direct hire, full time opportunity in Burnaby BC -Canada. Full time remote work will be allowed during the Covid Pandemic.
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.