Software Developer (Front-End)
Research & Development – Systems Software
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing.
D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature spanning, physics, algorithms research, math, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low-noise analog and digital electronics, conventional computer networking, and a low-magnetic field environment. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave annealing quantum computer can sample from probability distributions and optimize functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware. D-Wave computers are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin, NASA and Google, and there is a rapidly expanding community of cloud users and developers exploring applications and expanding open-source tools. D-Wave has appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine, and Wired.
In 2018, D-Wave delivered Leap, the world’s first real-time quantum application environment. Since this initial release, D-Wave has continued to expand Leap with new and exciting functionality, and we have ambitious plans for the future! We are looking for a Software Developer (Front-End) with experience building complex and dynamic user interfaces to help us build new online tools and content that will delight and engage users while they develop quantum computing powered applications to solve some of the world’s most intractable problems. If you want to collaborate on a ground-breaking technology, this is your place!
As part of D-Wave’s System Software (SSW) team, you will develop new user interface screens, components, extensions and libraries for Leap as well as yet-to-be released online tools that abstract away complicated concepts to allow users to quickly build an application from end-to-end. No quantum computing knowledge is required, but you will be given the opportunity to learn as much as you want about this next generation of computing.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with D-Wave’s UI/UX designer, product owners and other key stakeholders to help define and design new user interfaces that will meet business and technical requirements
- Work closely with back-end software developers and DevOps resources to develop and deploy build new screens, components, extensions and other user-interface elements
- Develop high-quality code and libraries that are optimized for cross-browser compatibility, speed, responsiveness, scalability, security and accessibility
- Ensure that UI/UX designs take into account implementation considerations
- Establish and promote front-end design development guidelines, best practices and standards
Experience and Skills we're looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience as a front-end developer using ReactJS and Redux
- A portfolio of past professional design and development work that demonstrates proficiency in UI/UX implementation
- Experience using nodeJS and package managers such as npm or yarn
- Great understanding of asynchronous programming techniques
- Experience consuming REST APIs
- Mid-level experience with Git: branching, merging, issuing pull requests, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Experience with a data visualization framework such as D3.js
- Strong attention to detail, solid organizational and time management skills
- Attitude and desire to learn and grow
Bonus: one or more of the following additional qualifications would be awesome but not necessary:
- Experience contributing to a SaaS application hosted on AWS
- Experience with desktop UI development (Electron or equivalent)
- Experience building user interfaces with Django or Flask as the web application framework
- Experience capturing metrics from user interfaces to direct future improvements
- Experience with SwiftType, Elastic Search and search appliances
This position is located at D-Wave’s Bellevue office, in Washington State (US).
To apply, please submit resume and portfolio of past professional design and development work.
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.