Boston, Massachusetts /
Community Insights – Professional Services /
Emsi Burning Glass is driving the national conversation around some of the most critical issues facing workers and job markets. A Research Analyst on the Applied Research Team is expected to play a vital role supporting our public and client-based research.
▪ Leverage labor market data to address client needs in education, government, and the private sector through a combination of data analysis and narrative and visual storytelling.
- Manipulate big data by querying, sub setting, aggregating, and transforming data from job postings, resumes, and public and third-party sources
- Integrate (join or merge) internal and external datasets to enable robust analyses
- Compare summary statistics on supply and demand across industries and geographies
- Construct indices to measure labor market concepts such as innovation and digitization
- Perform trend analyses to measure changes in job characteristics over time
- Write custom data queries to identify emerging jobs and skills
Narrative and visual storytelling:
- Generate first drafts of client-ready outputs in Excel and PowerPoint
- Contribute to written reports on research outcomes
- Work with designers to develop reports, websites, or other collateral
- Participate in client meetings and presentations
- Present research to the Applied Research team and other Burning Glass teams
▪ Deliver successful outcomes for clients through on time execution of assigned tasks and project milestones.
▪ Contribute to positive team dynamics by participating in team-building activities and being a supportive colleague.
▪ Contribute to the company’s growth by joining internal projects, such as those that develop data models for new products and initiatives.
▪ Contribute to tool and project documentation, such as summarizing overall project methodology and detailing steps to facilitate reproducibility.
▪ Demonstrate professional growth in research sophistication, client-readiness, and team leadership
Growth is expected in a majority of the following areas:
- Contribute to increasingly complex project assignments
- Perform more advanced queries and analyses
- Contribute to novel research methodologies
- Develop domain-specific knowledge that corresponds to Applied Research project areas
- Achieve advanced proficiency in data visualization
- Demonstrate strong client-facing presentation skills
- Develop project management capabilities
- Identify and capture client and stakeholder needs and integrate client and stakeholder input to maximize project value
- Assume more client- or stakeholder-management responsibilities
- Collaborate across teams at Burning Glass, for example connecting research to work in Ontology or Product
- Lead internal projects, such as those that strengthen the Applied Research team or advance internal research initiatives
- Lead external, client-facing projects that form an important part of an overall client engagement
- Identify areas of interest and develop goals for professional development
Contingent on organizational needs, company performance, and professional growth, advancement to Senior Research Analyst may occur in 18-24 months. Opportunities within Burning Glass also exist on the Data Science, Product Development, and Customer Success teams.
Emsi Burning Glass is an equal opportunity employer.