(Senior) Software Developer: Infrastructure focus (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 80 million trees. Our reach is expanding in all means and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for a developer with a full-stack mindset and expertise in DevOps and infrastructure to join us in Berlin! As a software developer with an infrastructure focus, you’ll split your time between coding on our products and applications with your product team and working together with other infrastructure-focused developers from other teams to improve our Kubernetes-based infrastructure and developer workflow. This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users.
What you’ll do
- Maintain and improve our infrastructure codebase and share ownership of our production systems (using Kubernetes, Prometheus, Grafana, Nginx, and many others)
- Share on-call responsibilities with other members of the team (with compensation for participating, and time-off after incidents)
- Accelerate our developer workflow and productivity with tools, systems, and processes (currently using Docker, Github, CircleCI - for more, check out our Tech Radar)
- Be involved in decision-making regarding our cloud infrastructure (currently AWS and kops for Kubernetes, but with an eye to evaluate all cloud providers and managed Kubernetes services)
- Help us foster a “software ownership” culture, including supporting or mentoring other developers with running code in production
What you bring
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You are familiar with Kubernetes, both as a developer of applications and as a cluster operator
- You have production experience with coding in one of Go, Python, or Node.js, and are comfortable with containerization using Docker
- You have experience with AWS or a similar cloud infrastructure provider, especially operating Kubernetes clusters
- You have experience with monitoring applications in production
- You’re interested in extending your skills and working on multiple stacks with the support of the team
- You care about testing
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
Salary range for the role:
A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience (49k-75k per year, based on your skills and experience, plus 4k per year for participating in the on-call rotation)
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working for an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet you live on
- Your work will be used daily by millions of people across the globe
- Eco-activism is not expected, but fully supported by the company
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Opportunities and support for you to advance your professional growth like monthly learning days, hack days and free book policy
- Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other sides of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two no-meeting days per week, open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your green-electricity bill
- More perks like weekly team breakfasts, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.