Site Reliability Engineer (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
We are looking for a site reliability engineer with a full-stack mindset and expertise in container orchestration and resilience engineering practices to join us in Berlin! As a site reliability engineer, you’ll split your time between increasing resilience of our products with your product team and working together with other site reliability engineers to improve our platform infrastructure and optimize developer workflow. This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of people.
What you’ll do
- A dedicated onboarding buddy will introduce you to our product and support you while you learn about your new role
- Within two weeks you will have the opportunity to work with your new teammates to make your first technical contributions
- In your first month you will be able to shadow an on-call engineer and gain experience in incident management and take on a daytime on-call shift
- In your second month you will be working on our monitoring systems, products in your assigned product team, and doing incident management independently
- In your first 6 months you will be fully onboarded and an active member of Platform and the product development team. You will support your teammates in making their services more reliable and reducing operational overhead
- From there our growth framework and your engineering manager will support your career development and work with you to achieve your goals
What you bring
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role
- You are familiar with container orchestration and are comfortable working with distributed systems
- You have production experience with coding in Go or Python, and are comfortable with running containerized payloads (e.g. Docker)
- You understand the value of a “service ownership” culture, and can support or mentor other developers with running services reliably in production
- You have experience with enterprise cloud providers such as AWS
- You have experience monitoring applications in production and observability/reliability guides your technical decisions
- Accelerate our developer workflow and productivity with tools, systems, and processes
- You’re interested in extending your skills and working on multiple stacks with the support of the team
- You care about testing
- You have respect for and share our core values
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- You have experience in implementing SLI/SLO
- You have been involved in incident management
- You are experienced with Kubernetes
- You have experience with some of the tools we use (currently using Docker, Github, CircleCI for more, check out our Tech Radar)
These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application.
Salary range for the role:
A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience (49k-75k per year, based on your skills and experience, plus 4k per year for participating in the on-call rotation)
What we offer
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out: https://info.ecosia.org/about
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for: https://blog.ecosia.org/is-ecosia-legit-10-q-a-with-ecosias-founder-and-ceo/
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
- Shared incident management responsibilities with compensation, and time-off after incidents
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.