Senior Android Developer (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 8+ million users have planted over 70 million trees. Our reach is expanding in all means and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for an Android developer to join us in Berlin and help bring our Chromium based browser to the next level! Do you want to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users?
What you’ll do
- Using your Java skills to develop new features and improve our Android browser
- Use your expertise in the mobile space to give insights and advice for improving our products for our users
- Continually improving the development workflow, tooling and environments thereby increasing our velocity
- Building a deep understanding of the Chromium source and architecture
- Helping us build and improve our products and make our users happy
- Collaborate closely with our product manager and the other engineers
What you bring
- You have 4+ years experience in native android development
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You have hands on experience with Java, Android SDK and C++
- Experience with Android UI, design principles, patterns and standard methodologies
- You really care about testing and have experience with testing suites
- You take ownership of your code, and you believe that also means making sure it does the right thing in production
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values and our love for trees
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- Advantageous skills
- Huge bonus for Chromium development experience
- Some iOS experience or willingness to learn
- Knowledge and experience in web and the search space would be beneficial
- We recognise that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Short (ideally less than 1 hour) assignment you can do in your own time
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues (can be remote)
- Half a day on-site, including a pair programming session and interviews with non-technical role
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working for an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet you live on
- Your work will be used daily by millions of people across the globe
- Eco-activism is not expected, but fully supported by the company
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Opportunities and support for you to advance your professional growth like monthly learning days, hack days and free book policy
- Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other sides of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two no-meeting days per week, open for periods of remote work
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your green-electricity bill
- More perks like weekly team breakfasts, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.