Senior Android Developer (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 91 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Senior Android developer to join us in Berlin and help bring our Chromium based browser to the next level! Do you want to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users?
What you’ll do
- Using your Java and Kotlin skills to develop new features and improve our Android browser
- Use your expertise in the mobile space to give insights and advice for improving our products for our users
- Continually improving the development workflow, tooling and environments thereby increasing our velocity
- Building a deep understanding of the Chromium source and architecture
- Helping us build and improve our products and make our users happy
- Collaborate closely with our product manager and the other engineers
What you bring
- You have 7+ years experience in native android development
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You have hands on experience with Java, Kotlin, Android SDK
- Experience with Android UI, design principles, patterns and standard methodologies
- You really care about clean code, refactoring and build maintainable systems.
- You have experience with automated testing and have experience with testing tools
- You take ownership of your code, and you believe that also means making sure it does the right thing in production
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values and our love for trees
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- Huge bonus for C++ and Chromium development experience
- Some iOS experience or willingness to learn
- Knowledge and experience in web and the search space would be beneficial
- We recognise that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
- Check out our Technology Radar for more details about our current technology stack.
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Short (ideally less than 1 hour) assignment you can do in your own time
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues (can be remote)
- Half a day on-site or remotely, including a pair programming session and interviews with non-technical role
WHAT WE OFFER
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out: https://info.ecosia.org/about
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for: https://blog.ecosia.org/is-ecosia-legit-10-q-a-with-ecosias-founder-and-ceo/
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.