Working student (Tree Team Support: Data preparation and cleaning)
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first accredited B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 15 million users have planted over 125 million trees across over 30 countries. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant more native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We're looking for a highly motivated data preparation and cleaning focused Working Student to join us in Berlin. You will be trusted with handling raw data coming directly from our tree planting partners and with your love for detail, your work will help us to further strengthen the quality of our tree planting recordings and prepare them for further analysis in the field and/or with satellites. Join a unique workplace and be part of the Tree Team’s mission to become the leading restoration entity in the world by using Ecosia’s tree planting funds to plant trees that benefit the people and nature.
As a Working Student you will support the Tree Team by ensuring the accuracy and quality of planting proofs (pictures, KML files and tree planted tables) submitted by Ecosia’s tree planting partners across the world.
Please be aware that this role is open to students currently registered with a German university.
What you'll be doing
- You will control tree planting data submitted by Ecosia partners on the correctness and consistency of the polygon/kml file, list of tree species and pictures;
- You will correct small errors in the backend of our system;
- You will work with the designated tree planting officer to give feedback to the partners on how to improve their field data;
- In the same way, you will also “clean” the data from past submissions and make them consistent with our reporting requirements;
- You will spot and correct inaccuracies in the underlying data;
- You will provide weekly feedback on insights derived from data coming in to the respective Tree Planting Officers;
- You will support the tree team with further ad hoc needs;
What you bring
- You are currently enrolled as a Bachelor or Master student in business, engineering or geography studies;
- You have good problem solving and analytical skills;
- You have a proactive mindset and are highly self-organized;
- You have a strong attention to detail and are not afraid by repetitive work;
- You have experience performing data cleaning tasks in Excel;
- You have some knowledge and/or experience with GIS programmes and/or Google Earth;
- You are motivated to help us fight the climate crisis by reforesting the planet!
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
Please add a Cover letter to your CV.
Answer the following questions in your Cover letter:
- Why do you want to join Ecosia?
- What would you bring to this role?
- How would this role help you to develop further?
WHAT WE OFFER
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for with these 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours (part -time: 32 hours, also possible) and location.
*If during covid-19 you work remotely, you need to be available during our core working hours (at least 10-16 Berlin time/CET)
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work (winter and summer months)
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.