Senior Software Developer: Backend focus (f/x/m)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 80 million trees. Our reach is expanding in all means and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for a senior software developer, with a main focus on backend to join us in Berlin! This is your opportunity to become part of a supportive, cross-functional team and shape a product used by millions of users.
What you’ll do
- Write code that touches all parts of the stack with a focus on the backend
- Own and develop our Go and Python codebases, building microservices for things like query understanding, account management, tree data and many more
- Embrace a service-oriented mindset and drive the migration of the last legacy services to our new architecture
- Join a supportive, cross-functional team and mentor more junior developers
- Help us improve our existing products and drive the inception and implementation of new ones – all to make our users happy (and to plant trees!)
- Collaborate closely with our product and engineering managers and other engineers across all teams
What you bring
- You share our core values and ways of working
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of and are able to explain it to others
- You have deep knowledge of Go or Python – or ideally even both
- You have experience with a service-oriented backend infrastructure (bonus points for grpc and protobuf) and the tooling around it (e.g. Kubernetes in our case)
- You really care about testing and have made it an integral part of coding
- You own the projects you create from beginning to production and you believe that also means monitoring it long-term
- You not only care about your work but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- You are located in or willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Short (less than 1 hour) assignment you can do in your own time
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues (can be remote)
- 2.5 hours on-site interview, including a pair programming session and interviews with people in non-technical roles. It can be remote if the presence requires a very long commute.
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working for an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet you live on
- Your work will be used daily by millions of people across the globe
- Eco-activism is not expected, but fully supported by the company
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Opportunities and support for you to advance your professional growth like monthly learning days, hack days and free book policy
- Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other sides of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two no-meeting days per week, open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your green-electricity bill
- More perks like weekly team breakfasts, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.