Engineering Manager (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us in Berlin. With the help of our two other Engineering Managers, you support the development of our software engineers across multiple teams. You help grow the engineering organisation as a hiring manager and by strengthening our collaborative and inclusive culture. This is your opportunity to become part of a supportive, cross-functional team and shape a product used by millions of users!
What you'll be doing
- You help engineers grow through coaching, mentorship, career development, and by challenging them to do their best work.
- You enable your teams by removing roadblocks, facilitating decisions, resolving tensions, providing the right tools, and driving the team to be more autonomous and self-sufficient.
- You inspire an atmosphere of continuous improvement and ensure that engineers continue to learn and share knowledge across teams.
- You hold regular 1:1s, feedback and growth conversations to plan and support career development.
- You ensure performance evaluation and compensation is fair and equitable.
- You support our recruiters to attract, recruit, and onboard great engineering talent to build diverse, high-performing teams.
- You help fostering a collaborative and inclusive culture in line with our company values.
What you bring
- You enjoy developing and growing people and have a track record in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software engineers of different specializations.
- You have solid experience working as a software engineer in an agile environment and know how to apply modern engineering practices to ensure continuous delivery.
- You have hired for engineering positions, embracing diversity and understanding the importance of creating an inclusive workplace.
- You bias towards action and pragmatism, both in your own work, as well as in your enabling of others, and bring a drive to continuously help the team improve.
- You believe in servant leadership and bottom-up culture.
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
1. Quick first call with our recruiter
2. Interview with our CTO and one of our Engineering Managers
3. Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
4. Team exercise
5. Final, non-technical interview
During Covid -19 all steps are done remotely.
What we offer
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for with these 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours (part -time:32 hours, also possible) and location.
*If during covid-19 you work remotely, you need to be available during our core working hours (at least 10-16 Berlin time/CET)
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.