Tech Lead SRE - Remote (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 15 million users have planted over 130 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Tech Lead - Site Reliability Engineer (m/f/x) with expertise in container orchestration and resilience engineering practices to join us remotely or in our Berlin office. We are growing fast and need support in our mission to enable a frictionless scalable Development organization.
As a Tech Lead of our remote-first Platform team, you will improve our platform infrastructure and optimize developers' workflow, while supporting your colleagues in their technical growth. You will also coordinate with the rest of Ecosia Tech leads on identifying technical opportunities.
Do you want to become part of a fun team with a company wide impact, and shape a product used by millions of users every day?
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Design, advise, and implement SRE best practices.
- Architect, deploy, and manage critical cloud infrastructure.
- Collaborate closely with the Tech PM of the team and translate business requirements into technical ones.
- Improve the incident handling processes.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to your teammates.
- Steer the technical roadmap for the team, and innovate within the infrastructure domain on behalf of your customers (product and platform teams).
- Assist with designing and performing chaos/destructive testing, related analysis, and provide feedback to all stakeholders.
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values.
YOUR AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE:
- Experience of setting up and supporting SRE teams' vision and strategy.
- SRE experience developing or running large scale online services, including the monitoring of applications and increasing observability.
- Participation in incident management.
- Good communication skills and the ability to speak the language of stakeholders from different areas (e.g., product, tech, compliance, and security).
- Understanding the value of a “service ownership” culture.
- Experience in supporting or mentoring other developers with running services reliably in production.
- Kubernetes (or equivalent deployment or orchestration automation)
- Terraform (or equivalent infrastructure as code tool)
THE HIRING PROCESS:
- First call with Elena (30-45min)
- Short assignment you can do in your own time (60-120min)
- Non-technical interview with Frank (60min)
- Technical interview with the Platform team (30min)
- Pair programming session and presentation (120min)
According to your preference, some of the stages can be combined to reduce time.
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
Salary range for the role:
A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience (69.4k - 79.8k Euro) per year, based on your skills and experience, plus up to 5K Euro per year for participating in the on-call rotation.
- What if your job made a real difference to the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and help plant millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), two no meeting days, remote work options).
- We are a team of more than 25 nationalities that includes people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents non-traditional backgrounds.
- We help you live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, green electricity allowance, etc.
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity or are primary caregivers, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.