Head of Design (f/x/m)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 80 million trees. Our reach is expanding in all means and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for a passionate Head of Design to join us in Berlin and take a leading position in our design team, empowering it to create and evolve an outstanding experience for our users and the visual language of Ecosia's brand and products!
Do you want to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users?
What you’ll be doing
- Lead and support all designers at Ecosia across teams: Coach them to create their best work, manage their performance, guide their growth and empower them to collaborate effectively
- Strengthen design best practices and a healthy team setup to establish a lean, agile design culture that supports our discovery and delivery processes
- Collaborate successfully with stakeholders including leadership, marketing, product managers, developers and BI and representing design across the organisation
- Define how the company’s purpose, values, strategy, and brand translate to a visual language and push for simplicity and consistency
- Nurture an experimentation culture and enable all designers to optimize the user experience by regularly running qualitative and quantitative tests
- Set the highest standard as an individual contributor in one of our product teams, which is responsible for engaging users along their journey across products and platforms, from first discovering the product to becoming a highly engaged advocate
What you bring
- Heart that is beating for our users and our cause
- Solid, relevant work experience: You worked on mobile-first, web based, consumer facing products. Your work was in a fast-paced environment as part of cross-functional teams that applied agile methodologies. You lead design teams and owned creative direction and brand
- Fluent in all aspects of design, from user experience to UI and interaction design, from user research to visual and brand design and creative direction
- Proven ability to create and optimize an outstanding user experience through iteration
- Strategic and creative thinking, understanding how to make an impact
- Great communication and collaboration skills
- Confidence in leading projects, taking ownership and initiative
- Ability to coach and empower others to take on increasingly challenging responsibilities
- Fluent spoken and written English (German not required)
- Respect and passion for our core values and the way we work
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working for an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet you live on
- Your work will be used daily by millions of people across the globe
- Eco-activism is not expected, but fully supported by the company
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Opportunities and support for you to advance your professional growth like monthly learning days, hack days and free book policy
- Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other sides of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two no-meeting days per week, open for periods of remote work
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your green-electricity bill
- More perks like weekly team breakfasts, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.