Front-End Developer (f/m/x)
Berlin / (Remote during COVID-19) /
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
We are looking for a software developer, with a main focus on frontend to join us in Berlin! This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of people.
What you’ll do
- Help keep our architecture lean, scalable and modular
- Lead the (already ongoing) transition from our old backbone-based frontend stack and migrate and build new things in a component-driven way with our new Vue.js stack, while adding to our common living design system
- Help us build and improve our products and make our users happy
- Collaborate closely with our product managers, our designers and other engineers
What you bring
- 3+ years of experience in the field
- You have experience building web applications using a relatively new component-driven framework such as Vue.js, React etc.
- You can write automated tests, and understand basic software testing methods
- You are passionate about Web accessibility, performance and user experience
- You are keen to learn more about Web technologies beyond the front-end
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You share our core values and ways of working
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You are autonomous but are also a team player and have some experience pairing and mentoring other developers
- You bring a new fresh perspective to our team and stack
- Located in or willingness to relocate to Berlin, Germany
- Experience with Continuous integration
- Experience developing Design Systems
- Experience with lower-level programming languages (e.g. Go)
- Experience with running containerized payloads (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with A/B testing
- Experience maintaining or contributing to an open-source project
- Experience with Server Side Rendering (SSR)
- Experience monitoring applications in production
- You have experience with some of the tools we use (currently using Docker, Github, CircleCI for more, check out our Tech Radar)
These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application: we encourage and support development and will give you the opportunity to grow there.
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
- A dedicated onboarding buddy will introduce you to our product and support you while you learn about your new role
- In your first month you will get to know your team and its processes, and get specific onboarding on our different products and departments; this will be the time to be introduced to our tooling, explore the code and pair with your onboarding buddy.
- By your second month, you will have made your first solo contribution(s).
- By the end of your probation period. You will support your teammates and be comfortable with our stack, and be able to review code for all your guild colleagues. You will participate actively in our product planning.
- From there, our growth framework and your engineering manager will support your career development and work with you to achieve your goals.
What we offer
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out: https://info.ecosia.org/about
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for: https://blog.ecosia.org/is-ecosia-legit-10-q-a-with-ecosias-founder-and-ceo/
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
- Shared incident management responsibilities with compensation, and time-off after incidents
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.