Data Engineer (f/m/x)
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join us in Berlin and help bring our data team to the next level! You should be passionate about data and promote a culture of data driven mentality. You will support the product teams to shape the future of Ecosia’s products and train cross-functional teams on how to use data to make decisions. This is a fantastic opportunity to work behind the scenes and boost the quality of our products which is used by millions of users.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- After a thorough onboarding and an introduction to our products and teams, you will join our BI and data team to:
- Collaborate with engineers and product owners to support them managing data and creating insights.
- Establish scalable, secure and automated processes and infrastructure to enable data analysis and collection.
- Architect, model and implement self-service data tools and data products.
- Find solutions to generate insights while respecting our privacy-friendly philosophy that goes beyond just being GDPR compliant.
- Ultimately, use data to drive growth, to provide value to the user and to reforest our planet.
WHAT YOU BRING
- You have 3+ years of experience building and deploying large scale data processing pipelines and analyzing data.
- You have knowledge about extracting, loading and transforming information from different data sources into a data lake or a data warehouse model.
- You have exposure to working with some of our technologies like Python, dbt or Airflow both with relational and non-relational databases.
- You are capable of writing and optimizing complex SQL queries and data transformations.
- You are curious and quickly learn new domains and can bring a new perspective to our team.
- You share our core values and ways of working.
- You are fluent in English (German not required).
- Located in or willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany.
- These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application.
- Experience with testing data pipelines to ensure their correctness.
- Hands on experience with some of our data pipeline tech stack: Managing data with dbt, Airflow, AWS Redshift, Athena, or Luigi (Python), AWS EMR, PySpark. Check out our Techradar for more info (see: https://ecosia.co/techradar).
- Interest in other data related fields such as NLP, data science and machine learning applications, data analysis and visualization.
- A degree in a data related field is helpful but not required. (Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics or other STEM degrees)
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
- A dedicated onboarding buddy will introduce you to our product, the data stack and support you while you learn about your new role
- In your first month you will get to know your team and its processes, and get specific onboarding on our different products and departments; this will be the time to be introduced to our tooling, explore the code and pair with your onboarding buddy.
- By your second month, you will have made your first solo contribution(s).
- By the end of your probation period. You will support your teammates and be comfortable with our stack, and be able to review code for all your guild colleagues. You will participate actively in our BI planning.
- From there, our growth framework and your engineering manager will support your career development and work with you to achieve your goals. Check our growth framework - https://ecosia.co/engineering-growth-framework
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
1. Quick first call with our recruiter
2. Short assignment you can do on your own time
3. Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
4. Pair programming session
5. Final, non-technical interview
During Covid -19 all steps are done remotely.
What we offer
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days and learning budget, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for with these 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours: part -time of 32 hours possible, with core working hours between 10-16 Berlin time/CET
*If during covid-19 you work outside of Germany, you need to be available during our core working hours
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work (winter and summer months)
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.