Head of People Operations (f/m/x)
People & Culture /
Full-time / Part-time
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
An international team of 65 people, Ecosia is looking for a Head of People Operations to work with our team in Berlin. This role will report directly to our CEO and will be leading a team of 3 people (and 2-4 freelancers). The position will lead a team of HR professionals to help shape our culture, drive change, and establish a solid HR foundation so that Ecosia can scale and grow in a steady and sustainable manner.
You and your team will manage all of the important aspects of HR at Ecosia including compensation, diversity & inclusion, HR policies and procedures, HR information systems, office management, recruitment lifecycle, and talent management. On a personal level, you are passionate about having a positive impact and driving systemic change, and have an ability to empower and lead people.
What you’ll do
- Lead, empower, and inspire our HR team by providing mentoring opportunities, guidance, feedback, and recognition
- Work closely with the CEO to design and execute HR strategies to promote an engaging, positive, and supportive work environment
- Build and lead the implementation of our diversity and inclusion strategy to ensure a diverse, fair, and inclusive workplace at Ecosia
- Provide operational and strategic guidance for the following HR functions: compensation, employee relations, employee well-being, German labour law, learning and development, performance management, and recruitment
- Develop, evaluate and provide feedback on HR guidelines, processes, information systems in order to meet the needs of Ecosia and its international team
- Direct company-wide recruitment efforts and hiring processes in order to engage, recruit, and retain diverse and top talent in Berlin and beyond
- Manage recruitment efforts and provide direction in creating an outstanding external employer brand that matches our core values
- Establish quarterly goals to clarify and identify key priorities within the HR workflow and evaluate key milestone to track achievements and progress
What you bring
- At least 5 years of progressive experience as an HR Manager or 2-3 years as Head of People Operations, (ideally in a technology-driven company)
- You are an empathetic, open-minded, hands-on leader and have experience leading an HR team
- Broad knowledge and operational experience in compensation, diversity and inclusion, employee relations, performance management, recruitment, talent management, training and development, and organizational change
- Proven track record of designing, building, and driving HR strategies, programs, and initiatives
- Experience building or improving HR operational processes and procedures
- Possesses a strategic mindset and has a clear vision of how initiatives should be implemented
- You have an affinity with our core values and the way we work
- A working knowledge of German labour laws and visa processes
- A strong communicator with great interpersonal and conflict resolution skills who can manage multiple stakeholders and collaborate across teams
- Fluent English and German speaker with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and an appreciation for “minimum viable bureaucracy” and agile methodologies.
WHAT WE OFFER
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out: https://info.ecosia.org/about
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for: https://blog.ecosia.org/is-ecosia-legit-10-q-a-with-ecosias-founder-and-ceo/
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.