Data Scientist - Part Time
About the Company
At Edacious, we believe food should be plentiful AND nutritious. As the impacts of yield-obsessed food production on human and environmental health become clear, the ability to measure nutrition as easily as we measure yield becomes critical. Why? The most nutritious food is also the most flavorful and sustainable. Our mission is nutritional transparency, and our vision is to shift the food system so it may better serve consumers, producers, and our planet.
We are chemists, engineers, and systems-thinkers. We create novel hardware, software, and analysis tools for producers to understand the factors that produce more nutritious food and for buyers to know the nutritional quality of the food they buy. We are looking for teammates who are passionate about food, the food system, and human or environmental health!
Edacious is seeking a part-time data scientist to help develop & maintain our data extraction pipeline and grow our benchmarking dataset of nutrient composition in foods, farming and livestock management practices, and sustainability metrics. We are developing a platform that uses data from whole food samples to convey information on the food’s nutritional composition and density and environmental impact.
The candidate has experience in building, maintaining & improving data extraction ML pipelines, including transformer models and NLP models. The candidate has experience with curating large datasets and tools that can be utilized to improve efficiency and speed in this process. Cleaning, curating, and refining extracted data. Interrogating the dataset for insights. Statistical and ML background including clustering and other approaches to dimensionality reduction of datasets.
- MSc/PhD in Data Science, Statistics, Machine Learning, or other quantitative discipline with 3+ years’ experience in advanced analytics & data science.
- Fluent in R and Python.
- Experience building and managing ML pipelines, especially those that include NLP and transformer models.
- Experience cleaning, analyzing, and integrating data from disparate sources and contexts.
- Experience working with ontologies, especially FoodOn or CHEBI.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, time management skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Highly adaptable to changing projects and priorities. Ideally, knowledge of nutrition, food, biochemistry, farming, or livestock management.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Diversity is the foundation of life and has created this beautiful world we live in. Just as nature has shown us the importance of diversity in biology, it is critical to build this diversity into our social structures. To the extent that we can build communities and teams that work in symbiotic and constructive ways, contributing to greater levels of productivity and resilience, the more successful we will be. We wish to attract diverse individuals in experience, perspective, and culture. Our company must represent the broader global food system if we are to be successful in this endeavor and so we seek to recruit and build teams that represent the beautiful diversity of people and life present on this planet.