Senior Project Engineer
Remote, Canada /
Edison Energy – Energy Optimization Advisory /
Edison Energy LLC (DBA in Europe as Altenex Energy and Alfa Energy) is a global energy and sustainability advisory firm that provides strategy and implementation services to help large corporate, industrial, and institutional clients better navigate the choices, opportunities, and risks that will emerge from the transition to a net-zero future.
As stakeholder expectations around corporate sustainability increase, Edison helps companies rise to this challenge by designing and implementing individualized strategies, projects, and programs across sustainability,
renewables, transportation electrification, energy optimization, and energy supply.
With the recent integration of Edison, Altenex, and Alfa into one global company, we bring the strength of combined expertise across energy procurement, optimization, renewables, and sustainability solutions. With advanced technological capabilities and expanded international reach, we enable our clients to achieve a more positive, measurable impact.
Edison enables organizations to deliver on their strategic, financial, and sustainability goals by addressing today’s key energy challenges: carbon, cost, complexity, and creating energy equity across communities.
Edison Energy LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Edison International (NYSE: EIX).
Edison Energy provides independent advisory and implementation solutions to some of the world’s largest corporate, industrial, and institutional clients as they pursue sustainability, resilience, and energy efficiency.
The Head of Retrofit Solutions oversees the entirety of Project Development for the portfolio of projects that contain major upgrades or replacement of energy and building systems. Project Development is the most critical team within Energy Optimization and faces the most complex phase of the client journey. The team moves opportunities from concept to fully developed, contracted, client commitments for Edison Energy to implement the actual, physical delivery of the project. For each project, the scope of the activity considers safety, technology design, commerciality (project pricing, project financing, risk allocation), and constructability. This role does not oversee Project Delivery, who are a separate team of dedicated project- and construction-managers.
The function engages with clients, account executives, Project Delivery, Regulatory Monitoring, other EE service lines who may be serving the client, the CFO’s Office, finance partners, and potential vendors and subcontractors. For this reason, beyond fundamental technical competence, professionalism and communication are non-negotiable attributes of this leader.
Activities to include the following tasks:
- Lead completion of energy audits, retro-commissioning and new construction commissioning of various facilities including higher education, commercial, healthcare, industrial and municipalities
- Identify energy conservation projects that include both capital and operational measures
- Analyze data from temporary data loggers, permanent submeters and fault detection diagnostic software to develop projects
- Troubleshoot faulty systems and provide recommendations for corrective actions
- Perform calculations of energy savings and help develop calculation templates
- Prepare project implementation cost estimates
- Review engineering designs, shop drawings, operation & maintenance manuals, and other construction documentation
- Prepare technical reports and presentations and assist in presenting to clients and senior leaders
- Ensure that savings projects for identified projects are plausible and financial risk is identified
- Experience with ongoing measurement and verification of projected energy savings is a plus
- Conduct investment grade audits (IGAs) for energy projects in order to develop detailed scopes of work and solicit bids for fixed cost pricing from vendors to implement measures selected by the client
- Attend jobsite meetings and field surveys as required
- Partner with Project Managers and to complete projects to ensure timely client deliverables
- Work with national clients to help achieve sustainability goals
- Develop and train Project Engineers and Associate Project Engineers
- Utilizing existing workflow, software tools, processes, documents, metrics, and best practices for the project development process for the following:
- o Initial Assessment (i.e. PEA, ASHRAE level 1)
- o Detailed assessment (i.e. DEA, ASHRAE level 2 and 3)
- o Construction/construction support
- W/R/T project development, once the initial processes are established, own the continuous improvement efforts to ensure minimal scope gaps, work toward zero margin erosion, and high client satisfaction.
- Work within the development and construction/implementation teams to ensure seamless project scope development and associated contract-level pricing of ECMs
- Work with implementation resources (staff) to capture and benchmark internal costing for engineering, contingency, project management, etc.
- Support sales and business development teams by the following efforts:
- o Engage with sales management and sales staff to scope, plan, and price Energy Optimization proposals (open solicitations and unsolicited)
- o Write and/or adapt high-quality narrative for use in proposals and presentations
- o Standardize, whenever possible, narrative, approaches, and pricing templates for standard approaches
- Act as a mentor, formally and informally, of personnel responsible for energy efficiency calculations
- Utilize existing savings calculation workbooks/tools and suggest opportunities for improvement
- Provide for peer/management review of calculation methods prior to presenting to clients.
- Act as an internal consultant as well as a customer-facing resource for clients interested in Measurement and Verification services.
- Act as a primary operations/development contact for two large client accounts.
- Engage with executive leadership and leaders of other EE service lines to increase business development through cross-selling, new offerings, developing technologies, and new vertical markets.
- Act a fiduciary of the company by only developing projects that will achieve required margins, maintain client excellence, and enhance the reputation of Edison Energy.
- Monitor emerging technologies so as to trigger new propositions with and through account executives; and, thereafter, build the supporting capabilities
- Build out vendor base by finding, qualifying, and training design firms, material suppliers, and general contractors.
- Develop and prepare high-quality client-facing materials and deliverables; this includes but is not limited to sales presentations, reports, and summary documents
- Work with internal teams such as Sustainability, e-Mobility, Supply, and Renewables & Analytics Advisory
- A minimum of 15 years professional experience, with at least 10 years developing projects for C&I clients, and the last 5 years in a leadership role around the same
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management, is preferred; a Master’s in engineering or business would increase consideration
- Industry experience around DER and efficiency solutions for C&I and institutional clients
- Have deep understanding of energy and building systems, including but not limited to HVAC, steam, lighting, building envelope, building automation systems, compressed air, refrigerants
- Proven track record of completing projects that include 3rd party financing
- Ability to manage multiple enterprise initiatives and issues
- Experience presenting to C-suites and Boards
- Knowledge of engineering drawings and specifications
- Knowledge of carbon reporting standards
- Experience in planning, coordinating, and providing leadership in the execution of complex, fast-paced and/or unorthodox construction projects
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, display excellent judgment, and work productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral communication, written communication, and presentation skills
- A commitment to inclusion and diversity, and openness to new ideas and perspectives
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness to travel up to 25%