Field Inspector - Solar and Storage
Houston, TX /
Edison Energy – Distributed Energy Solutions /
Edison Energy LLC (DBA in Europe as Altenex Energy and Alfa Energy) is a global energy and sustainability advisory firm that provides strategy and implementation services to help large corporate, industrial, and institutional clients better navigate the choices, opportunities, and risks that will emerge from the transition to a net-zero future.
As stakeholder expectations around corporate sustainability increase, Edison helps companies rise to this challenge by designing and implementing individualized strategies, projects, and programs across sustainability,
renewables, transportation electrification, energy optimization, and energy supply.
With the recent integration of Edison, Altenex, and Alfa into one global company, we bring the strength of combined expertise across energy procurement, optimization, renewables, and sustainability solutions. With advanced technological capabilities and expanded international reach, we enable our clients to achieve a more positive, measurable impact.
Edison enables organizations to deliver on their strategic, financial, and sustainability goals by addressing today’s key energy challenges: carbon, cost, complexity, and creating energy equity across communities.
Edison Energy LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Edison International (NYSE: EIX).
The Field Inspector is responsible for performing onsite visual inspections of solar photovoltaic (PV) installations throughout Texas and other potential Southern/Midwestern states for Edison Energy’s projects. Edison Energy is rapidly expanding its solar photovoltaic inspection services throughout the country. This role requires approximately 50% travel and 50% in-office time each workweek, covering onsite inspections in addition to performing administrative duties necessary for the inspection process. The Field Inspector provides quality assurance for our clients served by confirming onsite PV system components and design parameters align with design documents and criteria. This role requires a self-motivated and highly organized individual who is able to adapt to various situations ranging from customer engagement to visual QC of solar PV installations to timely, writing accurate and efficient follow-up reports and tracking.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- The Field Inspector will:
- Perform onsite inspections of commercial, utility scale and community rooftop, ground-mount and carport solar PV installations across various counties in Texas and other potential Midwest/Southern states.
- Use visual examination procedures to inspect and assess compliance with plans and specifications required by the program, including installation verification of system components and design parameters.
- Communicate professionally and accurately with program participants, with timely response times.
- Maintain inspection files and logs including inspection reports and correspondence.
- Maintain and update project information and inspection results in tracking systems.
- Employ efficient time management skills to accommodate weekly scheduling responsibilities, travel time, inspection variables and reporting deliverable due dates.
- Review and analyze inspection results to define the results scenario, based on program tolerances.
- Interact with contractors, engineers, property owners and others engaged in projects regarding progress, scheduling, project problems, plan interpretation, specification and code interpretation, and field assessments.
- Respond to questions and requests for information regarding inspection results.
- Keep interested parties informed of changes or new developments and ensure that they receive clear communications.
- Act as an effective communications link and reliable source of information for others.
- Coordinate with Program staff on all inspection related matters.
- Provide similar support services for other Edison Energy programs, as needed.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Familiarity with the National Electric Code and electrical wiring in commercial applications
- Understanding of photovoltaic technologies, equipment, design approaches, installation methods, shade analysis techniques and other factors affecting system performance
- Experience in mechanical installations, electrical installations, general construction and ladder work as well as knowledge of construction site safety requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service experience with the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- A disciplined, self-motivated, and proactive work style, and works with minimal supervision.
- Extremely detail oriented and meticulous with paperwork
- Ability to write timely and professional reports explaining field conditions
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions effectively, both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all co-workers, vendors and clients and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority
- Demonstrated ability to use current technology effectively and acquire new technology skills
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work efficiently amidst distractions with shifting priorities and schedules
- Effective organizational and time-management skills; assess needs, identify objectives and collect and record relevant information; prioritize actions that must occur and establish communication with affected parties
- Demonstrated high-level of abilities of various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Excel, Word, and Outlook
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent on-site Solar PV Installation experience
- Valid driver’s license; insurable in state of residence and a satisfactory driving record
- Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes
- Knowledge of the Renewable Energy marketplace and industry
- 5-10 years exposure to PV Installations
- OSHA 10-hour Safety Training
- National Association of Board-Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certified, or similar solar introductory and/or installation certification
- Approximately 50% travel
- Approximately 50% office
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to drive long distances and spend a significant amount of time sitting and driving.
- Ability to climb ladders up to three stories and spend a significant amount of time standing and walking around.
- Ability to lift, place, and remove/replace inspection equipment and supplies into and out of vehicles and buildings
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends or work longer hours to meet deadlines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The candidate must have:
Benefits for Full-Time Employees:
- Generous Paid Time Off (includes but not limited to Paid Parental Leave, Bereavement, Jury Duty, Sick, Vacation, etc.)
- National Holiday Pay & Float Holidays
- 401(k) Employer Matching
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Employer 100% Paid Life Insurance Benefits
- Employer 100% Paid Short Term and Long- Term Disability Plans
- Supplemental (Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits, Cancer/Critical Care, Hospitalization, Accident)
- Education tuition reimbursement program (from an accredited institution for college level and/or advance degree)
- Short Term Incentive (STI) Bonus Based on Performance Goals
Salary Range Transparency:
US Remote: $75,000-$95,000 USD annually
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently$75,000-$95,000 USD annually for Colorado, Washington, and New York City residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data.
Salary range represents the low and high end of Edison Energy's salary range for our Field Inspector, Solar & Storage position. Salary is one part of Edison Energy's Total Compensation Package.