Head of Talent
San Francisco, CA
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-focused programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years. We plan to accomplish our mission by July 2020 and close our doors.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations, including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
One of our strategic priorities is to design and implement a professional development program that provides ongoing feedback and coaching to each team member at EducationSuperHighway. We are looking for a Head of Talent to lead this initiative and deliver an innovative program that meets the individual needs of everybody at EducationSuperHighway.
As the Head of Talent at EducationSuperHighway, you will be responsible for enabling the professional growth of all individual team members through coaching and other support, leading a recruiting strategy and managing the Recruitment and Talent Coordinator to hire the best people, leading the overall organizational health of EducationSuperHighway, and maintaining an engaging, harmonious, and inclusive culture.
You will report to the CEO and be part of the leadership team at EducationSuperHighway. In this capacity, you will help guide the overall strategy and operational priorities of the organization as a whole and serve as a primary thought partner to the CEO and other leadership team members on issues of organizational health and effectiveness.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Career Development and Performance Management: Build, implement, and oversee a talent development system. Ensure that our employees are building their skills, highly engaged/satisfied, fairly compensated, and thriving and contributing in their roles:
- Support career development and employee learning for each staff member through coaching and other supportsImprove on our current employee feedback system to deliver both formative and summative feedback from multiple inputs (eg, peers, partners, managers) and instill a culture of open feedback and support across the organization
- Provide consultation, mentorship, and coaching to managers so that everybody has the support they need and behavior and performance concerns are addressed
- Maintain a compensation structure that ensures all team members are fairly compensated and top performing talent is rewarded
Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding: Improve and lead a recruiting strategy and run the recruiting process from beginning to end so that it results in quality hires with a focus on diversity across all dimensions, including direct management of the Recruitment and Talent Coordinator in execution of strategy and plans:
- Maintain an organizational staffing plan and execute a sourcing strategy to meet current staffing needs
- Support hiring managers in development of job descriptions and hiring profiles
- Organize a strategic outreach program to promote the EducationSuperHighway brand and network with candidates through all high impact channels and partners
- Lead execution of the interview process and help assess potential team member quality, skills and fit; maintain positive engagement with potential team members throughout their experience; support negotiations and offers; ensure staff understands the process and is well trained to support it
- Manage new staff onboarding and ensure that each new employee has tools and resources needed to set them up for success
Culture and Communications: Be the steward of the culture to ensure that EducationSuperHighway continues to be a great place to work:
- Work with the leadership team to facilitate a positive, purposeful, and productive culture that is grounded in our core values
- Lead staff events to celebrate our successes and continue to reinforce team cohesion
- Champion an environment of diversity and inclusion
You May be the Perfect Fit If:
- You are a great coach and listener -- you get a thrill out of seeing others develop and do it well; you listen actively, lead with empathy, and seek to understand
- You thrive in a startup environment -- you effectively navigate ambiguity, passionately work towards results, and maintain an optimistic point of view
- You are data driven -- you enjoy digging into the numbers and facts (both qualitative and quantitative data) to fully understand what’s going on and determine the strongest solutions
- You have a growth mindset -- you are willing and able to try new things, seek out and act on feedback, and learn from mistakes
- You have 5+ years experience as a senior leader of talent management and recruiting, including significant experience coaching team members of all experience levels
- You know how to create safe and inclusive spaces
If this role is exciting to you, we would love to hear from you! To apply, please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.