Data Quality Specialist
San Francisco, CA
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
It’s said that variety is the spice of life, and for the Data Quality Team, variety is the name of the game. Our day to day life can often be as diverse as our backgrounds, incorporating aspects of external communications, quantitative analysis, and project management to help our organization make sense of the inherent noise data can present. We build relationships with state and district leaders to ensure we can confidently stand behind our school connectivity figures, while simultaneously identifying trends in school district’s Internet access and networks. Standing among national leaders, we are advocates for data integrity, regularly creating and implementing new ways to expand our analyses across all EducationSuperHighway programs. Team members often have the opportunity to hone individual expertise that supports the rest of the organization, backed up by a robust comprehensive professional development and onboarding process. When we encounter a wall, we build a ladder. When we see an impassable gap, we design a bridge. In short, we get it done with urgency and professionalism, powered by a more than healthy dosage of humor.
The Data Quality Specialist (DQS) is the quintessential jack of all trades, constantly achieving in the face of challenging data obstacles. A DQS is passionate about data; they see more than just a set of numbers and facts, they see a puzzle waiting to be solved and a tool for convincing people to do what is right for our nation’s kids. A DQS takes pride in their work, not only because it is the foundation of EducationSuperHighway's mission and approach, but also because they just do. They know that as a young professional, they must be a self-starter looking for that one opportunity to wow the world with technical prowess and an enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
What you will do
- Master the skill of evaluating the data quality of multiple sources according to EducationSuperHighway’s taxonomy to ensure all of our programs are supported by high quality data
- Resolve all data related issues through identifying analytical trends and direct outreach to school districts
- Support our Data Quality Consultants in building relationships with state leaders to ensure our data accurately reflects the connectivity of districts.
- Research the specific broadband connectivity within a state through qualitative and quantitative research. Your expert understanding in the broadband landscape supports our state and district team to target their efforts.
- Collaborate with all internal teams to ensure team members thoroughly understand the nuances of our data set and ensure external messaging of our data is accurate.
- 1-3 years of full-time work experience
- Intermediate with Excel
- Prior experience with research and data, either qualitative or quantitive required
- Persistence to solve problems. No challenge is too big.
- Strong communication skills. You effortlessly navigate challenging conversations and effectively deliver content to various audiences.
- Energy that is contagious. Aspirations that are large. The ability to catalyze action.
- Skilled at working with a team to solve problems
- A belief in the power of technology to transform our current education system
- Drive. You know what you want-- to be part of a team making a real difference. You go after it.
Application deadline is April 15. To apply please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.