San Francisco, CA
Strategy and Research
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
The Analysis Team is responsible for getting schools upgraded to high speed broadband. Data is at the heart of every major accomplishment at ESH. Data played a key role in moving the policy needle swiftly to support an increase in the e-rate budget in order to connect schools to affordable internet and scalable fiber connections to support students digital learning. You will work side-by-side with other data analysts, a world class engineering team, product marketing, state and district consultants that are committed to our mission.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
You are an intellectually curious wonk. You think outside of the box and data guides you to questions and insights. You strive on providing insightful, rigorously-validated answers to the strategic problems. You have the keen ability to work with “customers,” to understand what it is they are really looking for even though they may be unable to articulate it accurately. You enjoy defining a structured, analytical approach to help “customers” answer their questions. The insights you provide for your “customers” are well-defined and are arrived upon by rigorous analysis and formal structures.
You routinely go above and beyond in your analysis to answer questions at the goal-level, not just the fact-level. You are constantly looking to construct a narrative from the data. You have worked with enough data to know that it can be unreliable. Your teammates remark on your practical and yet creative solutions and seek you out to hash-out new methods, craft emerging story-lines and advise on best practices and tips for using data tools. You have experience working with structured data sets, statistical and visualization tools. You are not afraid to present insights and findings to customers and senior leadership.
What You Will Do-- Develop insights from the data to serve internal and external partners. Specifically:
- Deliver insights that answer strategic questions by leveraging existing data methodologies and developing industry standard, reusable data methodologies.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to automate analyses for use by internal teams.
- Serve as a working member of cross-functional teams to calculate and drive insights that fuel ESH’s programmatic work
- Navigate the data sets ESH uses to tell our story through the use of custom internal and external tools
- Show interest or ideally ability to dig into critical user flows for internal tools and external websites surfacing potential blockers to swift completion of processes and user tasks.
- 3 years of experience working in an analytical or quantitative research capacity
- Experience working with SQL and can discuss when a “partition by” is preferable to a “group by”
- Experience with R or similar statistical package
- Experience wrangling data sets in Python
- Experience with Tableau or similar visualization tool
- Ability to fall back on Excel in a MacGyver-like way.
Nice to Have's:
- Advanced degrees in mathematics, statistics, data science, economics or a related field welcomed but not required.
- Advanced Analytic or Data science skills
- Familiarity or Experience with education or the nonprofit sector
- Experience with segmentation, activation, retention analysis as well as a/b testing on the web
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. Please note that resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.