San Francisco, CA
Strategy and Research
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality. We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools.
In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 46 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national philanthropic organizations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
We are responsible for getting schools upgraded to high speed broadband. Data is at the heart of every major accomplishment at ESH and has played a key role in moving the policy needle swiftly to support the work of connecting more schools to affordable internet and scalable fiber connections. You will work side-by-side with other data analysts, world class engineers, product marketing managers and both state and district consultants that are committed to getting classrooms equipped to teach the next generation of children.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate: An intellectually curious wonk: you think outside of the box, the data guides you to questions and insights. You strive on providing insightful, rigorously-validated answers to strategic problems that we face. You have the keen ability to work with various teams to understand what it is they are really looking for even though they are unable to articulate it accurately. You enjoy defining a structured, analytical approach to help teams answer their questions. The insights you provide for your stakeholders are well-defined and are arrived upon by rigorous analysis and formal structures.
You routinely go above and beyond in your analysis to answer questions at the goal-level, not just the fact-level. You are constantly looking to construct a narrative from the data. You have worked with enough data to know that it can be unreliable and judiciously make assumptions about the data to avoid analysis paralysis. Your teammates remark on your practical and yet creative solutions and seek you out to hash-out new methods, craft emerging story-lines and advise on best practices and tips for using data tools. You have experience working with structured data sets, statistical and visualization tools. You are not afraid to present insights and findings to stakeholders and senior leadership. Your friends and family are amazed at how much you love this stuff.
Nice to Have’s:Experience with various database structures besides relational(SQL) such as graph(Neo4J), Document(MongoDB) and Column(Google Big Table)Advanced degrees in mathematics, statistics, data science, economics or a related field welcomed but not required. Advanced Analytic or Data Science skills Familiarity or Experience with education or the nonprofit sector Experience with segmentation, activation, retention analysis as well as a/b testing.
Develop insights from the data to serve internal and external partners. Specifically:
- Deliver insights that answer strategic questions by leveraging existing data methodologies and developing industry standard, reusable data methodologies.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to automate analyses for use by internal teams.
- Identify and analyze current models, patterns and trends within our data sets.
- Serve as a working member of cross-functional teams to calculate and drive insights that fuel ESH’s programmatic work
- Navigate the data sets ESH uses to tell our story through the use of custom internal and external tools
- 3 years of experience working in an analytical or quantitative research capacity
- Experience working with SQL and can discuss when a “partition by” is preferable to a “group by”
- Experience with R, Python languages and libraries, Pandas, Numpy and scikit learn
- Experience with Tableau or similar visualization tool
- Experience with effective collaboration between cross-functional stakeholders including product owners, business stakeholders, designers and software engineers.
- Ability to fall back on Excel in a MacGyver-like way.
Nice to Have's
- Experience with various database structures besides relational(SQL) such as graph(Neo4J), Document(MongoDB) and Column(Google Big Table).
- Advanced degrees in mathematics, statistics, data science, economics or a related field welcomed but not required.
- Advanced Analytic or Data Science skills.
- Familiarity or Experience with education or the nonprofit sector.
- Experience with segmentation, activation, retention analysis as well as a/b testing.
If this role is exciting to you, we would love to hear from you! To apply, please send a resume, and a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.