District Network Engineer/Consultant
San Francisco, CA
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality. We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-focused programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations, including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
Our district consulting team works directly with school districts to understand their requirements, help them craft solutions, and guide them through their technology procurement. Network Consultants on the team are at the heart of our work - their technical expertise is what makes it possible for districts to upgrade their technology infrastructure. Network Consultants work directly with technology leaders in states and districts to help advise on optimized broadband, wired and wireless network solutions for schools.
The role involves the following:
- Sales engineering - engage with technology leaders in states and districts to provide high-level thought partnership and advice, based on an exceptional understanding of network design and management of broadband IA, WAN, LAN and wireless networks. Advocate for, and convince partners towards action and upgrades to meet FCC standards and best practice networks.
- Procurement support - help districts and consortia applicants write technical specifications for procurement of fiber-based broadband connectivity, as well as wired and wireless in-building equipment and infrastructure. Understand E-rate funding rules and how that aligns with potential eligible services and network options.
- Program and product development support - leverage insights from work with states and districts, as well as your extensive networking experience, to support development of EducationSuperHighway’s programs and products. Ensure that the work that you do is leveraged to help as many kids as possible.
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience designing or managing networks
- Significant experience working with a range of technology clients (ideally including government sector or K-12 school districts), supporting them in understanding and evaluating alternative technical options and convincing them to act
- Comprehensive understanding of high level network architecture and design with an emphasis on multi-site networks and fiber deployment; CCNA level knowledge of routing and switching concepts, or CWNA level knowledge of WiFi design
- Deep knowledge of the communications hardware manufacturer and internet service provider landscape
- Ability to explain networking concepts and trade-offs to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences; comfort in presenting the organization, our mission and best practice network solutions to technology leaders in meetings, webinars and at conferences and events
- Adaptability and flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced workplace, but without the pressure of being on call and the stress of keeping a large production network running
- An interest in mission-driven work to improve network connectivity in K-12 public schools
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and experience. EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer.