District Network Engineer/Consultant
San Francisco, CA
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
The District Network Consultant is at the heart of our mission: your technical expertise is what will make it possible to upgrade the technology infrastructure of school districts so that all students can take advantage of the promise of digital learning. You will work directly with technology leaders within states and districts as well as with a range of service providers and OEMs to help define Internet, WAN, LAN and wireless network designs for schools. You will support school districts across the country as they plan, procure and implement upgrades. Working within a consulting team, your expertise in network engineering will ensure school districts upgrade to the best possible technologies, in the best possible way. You thrive in a fast-paced workplace where you will make a tangible difference in public schools, but without the pressure of being on call and without the stress of keeping a large production network running. You'll be joining a team with many projects and programs under development, providing significant opportunity for growth, specialization, and project ownership. We’re looking for someone who’s excited about pursuing our ambitious non-profit mission while working at an innovative, fast-moving, small tech startup pace.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Network Engineer, Sales Engineer or IT Consultant
- Understanding of high level network architecture and design with an emphasis on multi-site networks and Internet Knowledge of communications hardware such as routers, switches, firewalls and Access Points
- Knowledge of the communications hardware manufacturer and vendor landscape
- CCNA level knowledge of routing and switching concepts, or CWNA level knowledge of WiFi design
- Ability to explain networking concepts and trade-offs to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences through email, phone calls, and in-person meetings
- A desire to do mission-driven work and a commitment to improving network connectivity in K12 public schools
- Experience with procuring network hardware and services under the E-Rate program
- Experience in telecommunications (fixed or wireless)
- Experience in fiber network planning, procurement, and implementation
- Experience with networking in an education, nonprofit, or local government context
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and experience. Please note that resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered. EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer.