Data Quality Manager
San Francisco, CA
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-focused programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years. We plan to accomplish our mission by July 2020 and close our doors.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations, including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
It’s said that variety is the spice of life, and for the Data Quality Team, variety is the name of the game. We build relationships with state and district leaders to ensure we can confidently stand behind our school connectivity figures, while simultaneously using the power of data to find the school districts that need our help the most. Standing alongside national leaders, we are advocates for data integrity, creating and implementing new ways to expand and enhance our support of all programs at EducationSuperHighway. Our team’s individual expertise is continually refined through a robust comprehensive professional development process. We get it done with urgency and professionalism, with a spirit of pride and enthusiasm that helps us succeed in our mission.
The Data Quality Manager will be both an individual contributor, and the leader of a team of professionals who provide the high quality data that informs all our analysis and programmatic work. You love leading people and are always looking to develop your abilities to listen, learn, and act to further the needs of individuals, the team, and the mission. You will draw on your significant experience in complex program management, your strong interpersonal skills, and your team leadership expertise to define how we should gather and improve data that drives our programs, reporting, and policy work. You will identify and lead strategic projects to improve processes within the Data Quality Team and work with other teams in the organization, school districts, state leaders, and other key K-12 stakeholders to ensure our data is able to meet all our programmatic needs.
What you will do:
Lead the Data Quality Team--Oversee a team of highly motivated data professionals, steer their development, drive performance, and ensure the team is resourced to meet EducationSuperHighway’s needs:
- Serve as the leader of EducationSuperHighway's Data Quality Team
- Ensure that employees are being developed to their full potential - both to be able to to achieve EducationSuperHighway’s goals and to create outstanding social justice leaders of the future
- Hire and onboard new employees to continue to match resourcing to priorities and set new team members up for success
- Identify individual or group challenges that could prevent success and proactively work to address those challenges and bring solutions
- Create an outstanding culture of professionalism, fun, and learning
Manage our Data-- Ensure that the data we collect and verify enables the programmatic work, analysis, reporting, and policy initiatives that create scaled impact:
- Understand the requirements of our data to support our programs and work cross-collaboratively with all ESH teams to scope those requirements
- Based on requirements and a deep understanding of data quality paradigms, guide the strategic approach and operational execution of data quality work; appropriately set the direction for the team based on these priorities
- Work with the team’s Data Quality Consultants to ensure that weekly and monthly planning and project management tasks are set up to handle the team’s priorities, and act as an escalation point for challenges, such as for making prioritization/resource trade-offs and determining cross-team collaboration needs
- Develop proactive strategies for overcoming data challenges; define process and change management as needed and oversee the implementation of new methods through to completion
Evangelize our Data-- The quality and integrity of our data should be sufficiently high that it becomes “invisible.” However, where necessary, the Data Quality Manager should be a key resource to ensure our methods and approaches to data are well understood - both internally and by federal, state and district leaders, service providers, and other 3rd party entities:
- Evangelize our mission and the power of our data in supporting the mission to external stakeholders and internal teams
- Support the team in creating and maintaining key relationships across the nation that will be beneficial to our data quality efforts, including relevant partners that can help us identify all school districts in need and allow us to continue to effectively report on progress
- Work cross-collaboratively with all ESH teams to ensure organization-wide understanding of the both the potential use of and constraints of our datasets
You May be the Perfect Fit If:
- You have the skills and experience: you should have 3+ years experience leading teams in a data centric, analysis, consulting, or program management role
- You are execution driven: you excel at managing highly collaborative complex projects or programs, you are creative and love problem solving and driving change, and you know how to work with diverse teams to get things done
- You have outstanding interpersonal skills: you have the ability to build effective, trust-based relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders at different levels
- You can lead teams: you have demonstrated your ability to support hiring, onboarding, and mentoring/coaching of amazing talent
- You are excited by the prospect of creating a fun and productive work environment and culture for your team
- You are inspired by data and the potential that it holds to reform public education
If this role is exciting to you, we would love to hear from you! To apply, please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.