San Francisco, CA
Marketing and Communications
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
The Marketing team is a passionate group of talented individuals with two primary objectives: 1) build awareness of and drive demand for EducationSuperHighway’s programs and tools among state and school district leaders and 2) promote the EducationSuperHighway brand as a credible, trusted expert on the topic of Internet in schools. The writer is responsible for compelling key audiences to upgrade schools on behalf of K-12 students across the country.
As the first full-time writer for the organization, you will be central to the development of clear and compelling messages that capture the attention of our key audiences and motivate them to act. While the majority of your writing will contribute to our content marketing efforts, you will also work on writing projects with a variety of teams and individuals across the organization that will allow you to implement different writing styles on any given day. You will play a leading role in ensuring consistency of brand-aligned language and messaging. An effective writer is able to craft compelling stories, distill complex concepts into simple, easy-to-understand language, and work collaboratively and iteratively to arrive at the highest-quality output. This role will report to the marketing communications manager.
Examples of the types of writing projects you may work on:
- School district upgrade success stories and case studies
- Blog posts, newsletters, website, infographics, and other digital marketing content
- Direct mail and email messaging
- Letters and other state and federal advocacy pieces
- Reports such as State of the States. (Examples are Here and Here)
- Grant reports for high-profile funders
The Ideal Writer for EducationSuperHighway is Someone Who:
- Has impeccable writing skills particularly in his/her ability to compel readers to act
- Understands or can quickly learn technical topics and translate them into clear language for a variety of audiences
- Has an extensive portfolio that includes different writing types from quick and punchy digital marketing writing to more-detailed, prose-heavy report-writingIs wide open to feedback and willing to iterate quickly and often
- Has journalistic qualities in his/her ability to identify a compelling story amongst a lot of information and data
- Has the interpersonal skills necessary to work with many different members of staff and conduct successful interviews with key external stakeholders
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable with delivering on short deadlines
- Has a solid understanding of marketing strategy and how content can deliver on that strategyIs detail-oriented and committed to consistently high-quality outputs
To apply please send a resume, a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and a portfolio or writing samples. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.