Senior Prototyping Engineer - Systems
San Carlos, CA or Natick, MA /
Prototype Engineering /
Electric Hydrogen is looking to expand the Prototype Engineering team. The company mission is clear: Decarbonize all that is hard to decarbonize. Solar steel mills, wind-powered cement plants. Renewable fertilizer plants. All these things are out of reach now. We will change that.
In order to reach that victory condition, we need to learn as quickly as possible how to build these high-performance systems quickly and cheaply. The Prototype team will be responsible for delivering pathfinder equipment, parts and systems at an extraordinary pace.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you are our hacker. You can write Python, C, wire up PLCs, write serial scripts. You might have gotten Linux to run on a Gamecube in your youth. You know how to solder and how to use a punchdown block. You can handle configuring IP addresses in three different OSes and directly on embedded systems. You have laid out PCBs and used a hotplate to melt solder paste. You will be responsible for handling anything that has electrons or bits in prototype equipment. This is done in a context of a high-ownership culture where our target is to complete a full design cycle every 6-12 weeks, with weekly revisions on components as needed.
Role reports to the Director of Prototype Engineering in the SF Bay Area. Position will be onsite at our Lab in Natick, MA or in the San Francisco Bay Area.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designing electrical, electronic and software systems for next generation electrolysis equipment, prototypes in a high-ownership culture
- With support from the team, you will drive multiple engineering projects to completion, concept to implementation
- Pushes for a rapid-iteration culture, with a deep understanding of how to move fast
- Fosters strong relationships between stakeholders, ensuring we are solving the right problems, the right way at the right times
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Have pushed at least 10 projects, over 5 to 10 years, from inception to test, such as PCB design, software architecture selection, hack code, good code, PLC programming, wiring cabinets
- Experience with an EDA tool, like Eagle or Zuken
- Python mastery. Experience with other programming languages like embedded C, and modern web frameworks
- Knows how to run function generators, process calibrators, o-scopes, multimeters, reflow stations, logic analyzers
- Knowledge of electronic and electrical assembly tools like crimpers, DIN rail equipment and the like
- Experience working with academic researchers
- Mechanical acuity
- Avionics experience
- Lots of fun hobby projects like a solar powered bike, RC planes or your own 3d printer
- Leadership experience in volunteer organizations
- BSME, MS in electrical or software engineering
- Passion for decarbonization highly preferred
Electric Hydrogen offers the best benefits possible. We pay 100% of all employees’ health/dental/vision/disability insurance premiums and 100% of the premium for their immediate family. This is for all of our employees. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. We also offer a generous 401k match and an unlimited time-off policy.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world’s leading experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world’s top venture capital firms, the Company designs and manufactures electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to generate green hydrogen by splitting water. Electric Hydrogen is building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. The Company was founded in 2020 and is based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is an equal opportunity employer.