Development Engineer, Brakes
Engineering – Chassis & Structures /
Harbinger Motors Inc. is a Los Angeles-based electric vehicle manufacturer on a mission to transform the automotive and transportation industries, bringing to market EVs developed from the ground up to address the needs of the Medium Duty vehicle industry. This broad, and to date poorly addressed, market segment includes class 4 to 7 commercial delivery vehicles, RVs and utility vehicles, among others. Leveraging a foundation of proprietary, in-house developed vehicle technologies, Harbinger's first-of-its-kind EV platform will bring enhancements in vehicle performance, durability and operator comfort. And importantly, Harbinger's vehicles will be priced for zero acquisition premium relative to traditional gas- and diesel-based competitors, removing one of the most tenacious barriers to EV adoption.
Harbinger's team, with operations in Southern California and Michigan, includes industry veterans with expertise in powertrain, battery, chassis and software development, along with leaders in advanced manufacturing, corporate development, operations and finance. Our team members come from leading innovators, both in and out of the automotive industry, including Tesla, Rivian, Canoo, Ford, Anduril, and SpaceX.
Founded in 2021, Harbinger is a venture-backed startup on a rapid growth trajectory, looking for candidates that thrive on tackling complex challenges and who share in our passion to bring clean transportation alternatives to a segment of the market starving for innovation.
As a member of the chassis team, you will play an active role in developing the brake system. From creating the requirements to supporting the brake development activities at the proving grounds and participate in the final system signoff.
- Create and design electrical and system architecture for brake control systems
- Create and maintain requirements and specifications for brake control systems from initial concept to SOP with excellence and great detail
- Design and integration of CAN (CAN-FD) Networks
- Develop chassis control systems (ESC/TCS/ABS/.) for brake by wire system through subjective/objective testing and calibration for Harbinger Motors prototypes through production vehicles in collaboration with system suppliers
- Create, execute, and document system design validation plans to include HIL and vehicle-based activity
- Lead test and validation of low and high mu chassis control systems
- Conduct low mu ESC/TCS/ABS/. calibration and verification with system suppliers at winter test facilities
- Develop and execute test plans, coordinate test vehicles, and manage supplier activities
- Lead vehicle integration of chassis control systems (ESC, TCS …) through collaboration with ride & handling and brake engineers
- Conduct benchmarking of competitive vehicles and support customer feedback research to understand customer requirements
- Develop in-house testing methodology as and specify/procure test instrumentation as needed
- Create test report as needed
- Work in a small team environment as well as independently
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in electrical, computer, mechanical, or related engineering field
- Experience at the beginning of an automotive program building off of a clean slate
- Diverse skill set with ability to contribute on other activities outside of primary job responsibilities
- Experience in control system development and particularly closed loop issues such as stability
- Experience working in MATLAB Simulink for modeling and simulation
- Experience with automatic embedded code generation
- Background in automotive engineering and chassis systems (steering, braking, suspension) and driveline
- Experience in Model Predictive Control (MPC)
A Harbinger of Good Things to Come...
- Collaborative work atmosphere that values multi-disciplinary thinking
- Work with other talented engineers and businesspeople who are driven to change the world for the better
- Extremely generous health care package
- Early-stage equity compensation
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Paid lunches
$100,000 - $160,000 a year
Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harbinger is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Harbinger may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Harbinger may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Harbinger may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our HR, legal, and finance teams, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Harbinger affiliates; and (iii) Harbinger’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Harbinger may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services. Any unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles submitted in response to our job posting shall be considered the property of Harbinger and are not subject to payment of referral or placement fees if any such candidate is later hired by Harbinger unless you have a signed written agreement in place with us which covers the applicable job posting.