Senior Engineer, Reagent Process Development
San Diego, CA /
Operations – Process Development /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to co-develop our processes with our products. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch an amazing product! The Process Development team is integrated with our technology and product development teams, with a focus on pulling the technology out of the lab and enabling it in Operations.
This role will be working on developing the reagent consumable component of our product. Our product incorporates cutting edge technology from synthetic organic, nucleotide, enzyme, and surface chemistry disciplines, which makes this role highly integrative.
- Lead projects in the reagent area to support the transfer and commercialization of the product/process, including design and implementation of formulation, filling, and packaging processes.
- Design, plan and execute experiments within the reagent production process that involve multiple chemistry disciplines.
- Design, plan, and execute product and process optimization and characterization experiments.
- Lead the design of experiments; driving execution, data analysis, and presentation of outcomes, making recommendations based on data.
- Build documentation for user and system requirements, participate in product design and development, and support integration and testing activities.
- Lead complex investigations, troubleshooting product performance issues.
- Lead development of supplier partners to support successful component development and product commercialization.
- Plan in-process quality control approach for reagent products and processes.
- Create and maintain BOMs, WIs, and SOPs.
- Successful candidates will have Educational background in chemical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or engineering physics, or similar fields.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree with more than 5 years’ experience, OR Masters with 3-5, OR PhD with 1-3 years’ experience.
- Experience in both Development (new product introduction) and Operations settings, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced Biologics, Molecular Biology, or Chemistry environment.
- Experimental design and statistical data analysis and visualization (such as JMP or R) are required; additional capabilities with image analysis and scripting are a plus.
- Experience in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement is required.
- Experience with formulation, filling, and packaging of consumables is required.
- Experience with automation and semi-automated process is a required.
- Experience working directly with vendors and/or contract manufacturers is required.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technology and business purposes is required.
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.