Staff Engineer, Fluidics Discovery Lead
San Diego, CA
R&D – Assay Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to lead the innovation, design, procurement and scale-up of our consumable. This is a key leading role within our Chemistry and Consumable Development Team and it requires a flexible, interdisciplinary candidate that will collaborate closely with the Chemistry, Biochemistry, System Integration and Process development functions.
In this role you will be driving our consumable from the design phase to a robust product. You will evaluate innovative approaches to consumable development. Because of the highly collaborative nature of this role, we are looking for a strong technical leader and communicator with highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Act as the primary point of contact for all activities pertaining consumable development;
- Develop innovative consumables and scalable processes;
- Keep updated on the latest technologies and processes while leading the internal innovation roadmap;
- Work alongside other scientists and engineers to define designs and specification;
- Coordinate with external partners to develop prototypes and processes, select tools, according to established timelines;
- Develop tools and methods to ensure quality and satisfy internal demands;
- Participate in transferring tools and process to manufacturing;
- Explore analytical methods and tools to ensure quality, consistency and robustness
- Work closely with other functions (Chemistry, Biochemistry, System Integration and Operations) to troubleshoot issues;
- Plan activities, define timelines, assess risk and communicate roadmaps to technical teams and Senior leadership
- Educational background in Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biophysics, Materials Science or related fields
- Position requires a Bachelor degree with minimum 10 years of industrial experience, or a Master/Ph.D. degree with a minimum of 6 years industrial experience.
- Relevant experience in industrial product development is required;
- Experience in leading technical teams is required
- Deep knowledge of tools, techniques and materials used in the high-volume manufacturing of complex consumables;
- Experience in consumable development and manufacturing preferably in the biomedical devices, diagnostic or MEMS industry;
- Experience in planning, tracking and execution of complex, interdisciplinary projects;
- Experience in managing and negotiating with national and international suppliers;
- Demonstrated track record of innovation in materials, processes and methods;
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.