Scientist, Chemistry Product Development
San Diego, CA
R&D – Small Molecule Chemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Design, develop and execute experimental plan independently as well as in a small team
- Develop novel assays for the functional and analytical characterization of synthetic materials
- Apply fundamental understanding of chemistry and biology to the design, synthesis and characterization of materials using existing or novel methodologies
- Interact closely with analytical, biochemical and synthetic researchers and engineers to develop comprehensive solutions
- Participate in intellectual property creation
- Provide guidance and work assignment to technicians
- PhD degree in chemistry, chemical biology, materials science, biochemistry, or a closely-related field
- 1+ years of industrial work experience in an R&D setting is highly desired
- Extensive experience is required in chemical biology assay development and/or bioconjugate materials synthesis and characterization
- Experience with reaction scale-up and optimization are a plus
- Strong knowledge and experience in chemical biology assay development to analytically and functionally characterize bioconjugate materials
- Strong background in the design, synthesis characterization of bioconjugate materials
- Solid understanding of chemical reaction mechanisms, reactivity and bioconjugation techniques
- Strong familiarity with analytical techniques such as mass spectrometry, chromatography (IEX, SEC and affinity), NMR spectroscopy, DLS, GPC and protein characterization techniques
- Experience with polymer or nanomaterial synthesis and functionalization is a plus
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; strong organizational skills, ability to multitask and work independently; ability to find creative solutions to problems
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.