San Diego, CA /
G&A – Finance /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
As the Director of Facilities, reporting to the VP of Finance & Administration, you will support the infrastructure for locations in the United States and abroad; and oversee the construction of future sites, working alongside Element’s brokers, landlords, contractors and architects. You will support Element’s growth by building, developing and leading a team of Facility and Laboratory professionals that deliver best-in-class workplace environments and experiences, all while handling a variety of other responsibilities at a rapidly growing company.
- Strategic Planning
- Create and evolve the strategic solutions for Element Bioscience’s office properties in terms of technical building operations & systems, designs that promote operational efficiency & collaboration, and a look & feel that reflects the Company brand and culture.
- Develop occupancy strategies that solve the challenges inherent with a high-growth business. Direct site master planning efforts, secure related project approvals, and manage approved projects to successful conclusions.
- Develop and evolve Element’s facilities standards and guiding principles that reflect Company culture and ensure an appropriate level of continuity across all Element Biosciences offices.
- Project Management
- Oversee day-to-day Facilities operations, building systems, maintenance, safety systems and services at all Element Biosciences offices.
- Accountable for providing the facilities infrastructure required to support approved hiring and workstation moves/adds/changes.
- Own Facility related vendor and professional service provider selections, contracts and management. Act as owner's representative in the management of architects, engineers, contractors, permit expeditors, etc. Ensure that vendor partners operate as an extension of the Facilities & Workplace Experience team while meeting all contractual service level agreements.
- Working with the Head of Operations and CEO, and the applicable Facilities Manager, oversee the design, engineering, construction and furnishing of all tenant improvement projects.
- Ensure Company work environments are Safe, Healthy, Sustainable and Fun.
- Own Facilities & Workplace Experience related service agreements and professional service providers.
- Assist other departments with other office-wide initiatives and cultural events
- Event Coordination, Planning and Support - own the process for applicable Workplace Experience events by event scoping/defining, budgeting, scheduling, selecting venues, negotiating with & managing vendors, acquiring all applicable permits/approvals, defining catering requirements, partnering with purchasing and legal department for contract completion and payments, and running the event itself - per annual events calendar.
- Assist in maximizing new hire onboarding experience by partnering with the Human Resources team.
- Partner with the IT Department to ensure appropriate services are provided for Element employees at all Company facilities.
- Financial Ownership
- Oversee all Facilities related OPEX and CAPEX planning, budgeting and related management tasks. Provide applicable project cost estimates for capital planning purposes.
- Expand departmental discipline around timely use of requisite finance & accounting system, accruals, and cash-flow forecasts.
- Develop project scopes of work (SoW’s), Request for Proposals (RFP’s), and compare bids to facilitate key project decisions.
- Develop operational and capital cost containment strategies.
- Serve as the go-to resource for the Finance Department for all applicable procurement, operating expense and capital fixed asset questions and needs.
- Define metrics that show how we are doing. Determine valuable Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) including Cost/SF, Cost/HC, Cost/location, Total Cost as % of Revenue, Space ‐ SF/Seat (density), Utilization rates, etc.
- Provide project cost estimates for capital planning purposes. Develop project scope(s) of work, RFP’s, and compare bids to obtain best prices Develop operational and capital cost containment strategies
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a Business, Engineering or Science discipline, or equivalent field of study, with 10+ years of relevant experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM) and/or relevant Construction or Architectural education/licensure is preferred
- Track record of successfully managing multi-location sites in the Life Science, Genomics, and/or Biotechnology industry
- Expert at solving large complex problems from discovery, defining, and implementing the solution
- Proven ability to deliver on time with a manufacturable solution that works every time
- You are a cross-disciplinary team member
- Resourceful, flexible, and adaptable; no task is too big or too small
- Strong understanding of financial models and business economics and the ability to apply such an understanding in a manner that results in great decision making
- Effective oral and written communication skills across all levels and audiences
- Proven ability to work cross functionally with all stakeholders in time sensitive, performance driven environments
- Strong listening & negotiation skills shall be leveraged in intra-company scenarios (other departments & senior leadership)
- Can orchestrate multiple projects at once, keeping things on track while keeping stakeholders in the know
- Domestic travel up to 10%
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.