Scientist, Surface Science
San Diego, CA
R&D – Surface Chemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Design, develop and execute experimental plan independently as well as in a small team
- Apply fundamental understanding of surface chemistry to the design, synthesis and evaluation of surface treatment using existing or novel methodologies
- Surface treatment by chemical synthesis/process of polymer films or nanoparticles to achieve the desired properties
- Interact closely with analytical and synthesis researchers and engineers to develop comprehensive solutions
- Participate in intellectual property creation
- Provide guidance and work assignment to technicians
- PhD degree in chemistry, materials science, physics, or a closely-related field
- 2+ years of industrial work experience in an R&D setting is highly desired
- At least 1 year of experience in surface functionalization is required
- Experience with biomolecule immobilization and characterization, and experience with data analysis tools such as jmp, R, ImageJ or MATLAB is a plus.
- Strong background in surface chemistry and surface treatment through material design, synthesis, and characterization
- Solid understanding of chemical reaction mechanism between interfaces with the aim to guide the synthesis of surface coating materials
- Strong knowledge and experience in surface related applications such as hydrophobic coatings and alkaline resistant films
- Strong understanding in polymer physics and structure-property relationships in polymers.
- Strong surface analytical techniques such as AFM, Ellipsometry, FTIR, SEM, TOF-SIMS and XPS
- Experience with the development of durable, transparent films with different surface properties is highly desired
- Experience with nano material surface coatings for added functions is preferred
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; ability to find creative solutions to problems are a great plus
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.