Senior Research Associate, Protein Engineering
San Diego, CA
R&D – Protein Engineering/Biochemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Senior Research Associate contributor for exciting well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences and IVD start-up company. Ideal candidates will work closely at the direction of scientists to characterize biochemical properties of product reagents. Candidates are expected to have an eager attitude to learn and familiarity with biochemistry analysis methods. With mentoring, the candidate will be able to develop and optimize methods/techniques for testing and evaluation of novel biochemistry schemes and generate reports of findings.
- Execute biochemical assays for high-throughput screening
- Perform routine characterization of purified proteins
- Meticulously recording and organizing data from protein characterization and assays
- Ability to multitask while adhering to priorities to meet deadlines
- Work well independently as well as in a small team
- Interact closely with lead scientists and engineers to develop comprehensive solutions for protein needs
- Work closely with lead scientists to meet deliverable and timeline goals
- B.S., M.S, or equivalent
- 2+ years industrial experience and/or training
- Experience in protein biochemistry, involving protein characterization/assays
- Ability to follow SOP to carry out biochemical assays
- Evaluate purified proteins using standard analytical and biophysical techniques, including SDS-PAGE, UV-Vis spectrophotometry, and fluorimeters
- Ability to carefully analyze data and communicate results effectively
- Background in general techniques used in biochemical and molecular biology (centrifugation, buffer preparation, growth media preparation, sterile techniques)
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities are required, along with the desire to work both independently (highly self-motivated) and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Diligent record keeping and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate results clearly to peers and management.
- Familiarity with DNA fragment analysis via capillary electrophoresis
- Understanding of biochemical assays that generate fluorescent signals
- Basic understanding of good practices for DNA and enzyme handling
- Familiarity or interest in operating lab automation equipment (e.g. Hamilton or other liquid handling systems)
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.