San Diego, CA /
G&A – Finance /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
As the Accounting Manager, reporting to the VP of Finance, you will help build Element’s Accounting Systems, Financial Close, Accounts Payable and Payroll processes from the ground up while handling a variety of responsibilities at a rapidly growing company.
- Partner with Element’s 3rd party Software Implementation Consultant to design and configure Oracle’s NetSuite ERP to best fit and scale with Element’s rapid growth
- Maintain general ledger leading up to month end close
- Prepare month end close schedules and close periods, financial reports to be distributed internally and to third parties, monthly company spend reports and project spend reports
- Oversee all accounts payable (AP) and related work to include administering the process, vendor set up, vendor bill processing and review with PO matching, and prompt response to vendor inquiries
- Process a high monthly volume of vendor bills and schedule payments to meet budgeted cash outflows
- Process Element’s bi-weekly payroll, including review of payroll deductions, calculation of gross amount, scheduling of employee pay, and resolution of discrepancies on an as-needed basis
- Manage business property tax, sales and use tax submittals, tax exemption reporting, including R&D tax credits
- Work with outside accounting firms to submit state and federal income tax returns
- Review purchasing transactions to confirm correct tax classification across multiple destination states, bank balance and manage wire/fund transfers where necessary
- Work with outside accounting firms to conduct financial audit or reviews
- Manage tax reporting and payment, includes local, state, and federal
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Business, or equivalent field of study, with 7+ years of relevant experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- CPA and/or master’s in accounting preferred
- Big 4 Accounting Firm and/or fast-growing private company experience preferred
- Comfortable with AP, AR, bookkeeping, and reporting; knowledge of California tax law a huge plus.
- General knowledge of GAAP and an understanding of internal accounting controls
- Incredible level of organization
- You are familiar with NetSuite or similar next-generation SaaS accounting systems.
- Expert at solving large complex problems from discovery, defining, and implementing the solution
- Proven ability to deliver on time with a manufacturable solution that works every time
- You are a cross-disciplinary team member.
- Resourceful, flexible, and adaptable; no task is too big or too small.
- Expertise in Excel and report writing software
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work cross functionally with all stakeholders in time sensitive, performance driven environments
- Demonstrated ability to work with and learn from software and mechanical engineers, chemists, and bioinformaticians
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.