Senior Scientist, Sequencing Biochemistry
San Diego, CA
R&D – Reagent and Assay Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven scientist to join the reagent development group at a well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences start-up company. Key responsibilities will include the development of sequencing biochemistries and reagents for our new NGS technologies. Ideal candidates will contribute to defining sequencing chemistries and optimize reagent performance for commercialization. Aside from sequencing, the role entails developing surrogate assays and applying biophysical characterization tools for the characterization of reagents. Given the early stage of our company, the role requires innovative thinking along side with systematic studies.
Candidates are expected to have the technical and managerial skills to lead small teams, thrive in a fast-paced environment and drive towards meeting goals while maintaining high standards for quality and a long-term vision for optimal system architecture.
- Coordinate and lead a small team that optimizes reagents for novel DNA sequencing workflows.
- Ability to lead people while executing lab work.
- Prioritize, design, perform and analyze experiments.
- Set high standards for the execution, analysis and presentation of data.
- Collaborate closely with upstream research teams and downstream ops/manufacturing teams as product evolve.
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or a related discipline.
- 4+ years industry experience.
- Proven track record of product development in NGS or biotechnology field.
- Biochemical characterization of nucleic acid and enzyme interactions on surfaces.
- Expert knowledge of DNA amplification methods and DNA processing enzymes.
- Applies principles of reaction kinetics and molecular interactions towards assay optimization.
- Knowledge of next-generation sequencing.
- Capability of cross-disciplinary thinking; excels working at the interface of surface chemistry, engineering, fluidics and biochemistry.
- Familiarity with reagent development process.
- Statistical analysis.
- Superior organizational skills. Train junior personal, propagate good work practices and set high quality standards.
- Success in this position requires frequent communication with peers and management. These relationships must be built on respect, integrity, cooperation, teamwork and professionalism.
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.