Program Manager, Sequencing
San Diego, CA
R&D – Program Management
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to deliver project management best practices in support of product commercialization. We need an individual comfortable developing an organization and processes to support the unique needs of the genomics industry. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch amazing products! We are building a fully integrated Operations team to work closely with our technology and product development teams. We aim to pull the technology out of the lab and enable it in Operations!
The Program Manager will be expected to establish and apply project management best practices in the initiation, planning, execution, control and closing of projects, as well as provide operational support to project management function to build best practices and standards. They interact with external stakeholders and internal cross functional groups, including Research and Development, Commercial, and Operations to provide clear direction and set expectations. They will demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills to work across functions, and influence to facilitate execution of key projects and initiatives aligned with corporate vision.
- Establish project management best practices and drive their adoption across the company
- Responsibility for planning, tracking, and driving timely execution of Development activities
- Collaborate with Finance to manage project budgeting process and monitor project spend
- Facilitate project team meetings with the project team lead, and develop and manage the execution of high quality, integrated cross-functional project plans
- Ensure timely communication of changes or updates on timelines and deliverables
- Recommend and implement innovative process ideas that impact execution and cost efficiency
- Coordinate collection of product requirements from internal sources and external partners, translates into specific goals, and ensures the delivered products will meet the expectations of customers, stakeholders, and external collaborators.
- Apply decision analysis tools to analyze complex situations and recommend defensible actions and solutions.
- Exercise good judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Collaborate and deploy project management within internal cross-functional sub-teams
- Develop and execute integrated project plans, identify rate limiting factors and key dependencies
- Maintain program specific timelines and deliverables, including critical program, financial and communication milestones,
- Deploy and utilize project management databases to manage project portfolio, resources, and plans
- Develop tracking dashboards and alerts to identify any critical issues that can delay or impact program; work with program lead to develop mitigation plans
- Act as cross-functional liaison to ensure project plans remain aligned with current business or alliance strategies
- Organize and facilitate team agendas, meetings and presentations; generate meeting minutes
- Manage project authorizations, scope of work, and key assumptions underpinning the project
- Identify supply requirements per plan, escalating any resource gap and communicate to program lead
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of our technology and drug development processes
- Work with finance to manage project budgeting process and monitor project spend
- Support annual reporting and audit management as needed; provide input to the portfolio prioritization process and participate in other key strategic business decisions, as necessary and develop partner business plans or other activities to support the advancement of the partnership if necessary
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business, biotech and/or genomics product development or related with at least 10 years’ experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- 5 years Project Management experience
- Proven experience in managing product development and commercialization projects in the research and/or pharma/IVD industries
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of such principles as GMP, FDA guidelines
- Working knowledge and experience with project planning software (e.g. MS Project, etc.)
- Strong experience in problem solving skills, analytical thinking, and visionary skills
- Advanced degree or certifications are preferred
- Experience in project or alliance management desirable, or managing high level cross functional teams or other external relationships
- Recent experience within a fluid or start-up environment is a plus
- Ability to influence teams, both internal and cross-company, in a matrix management environment
- Solid understanding of timelines, human resources, and budgets necessary for product development is preferred.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Demonstrated drive and passion to grow self and others to address business needs
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technical and business communication is required
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a fast-paced and efficient manner.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.