Director, Program Management
San Diego, CA /
R&D – Program Management /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to deliver project management best practices in support of product commercialization.
The Program Manager will be expected to establish and apply project management best practices in the initiation, planning, execution, control and closing of projects, as well as provide support to project management function to build best practices and standards. They interact with external stakeholders and internal cross functional groups, including Research and Development, Commercial, and Operations to provide clear direction and set expectations. They will demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills to work across functions, and influence to facilitate execution of key projects and initiatives aligned with corporate vision. This person will be required to be hold stakeholders accountable for timelines and deliverables while maintaining strong, constructive interpersonal relationships with team members.
- Establish project management best practices and drive their adoption across the company
- Responsibility for planning, tracking, and driving timely execution of Development activities
- Collaborate with Finance to manage project budgeting process and monitor project spend
- Facilitate project team meetings with the project team lead, and develop and manage the execution of high quality, integrated cross-functional project plans
- Ensure timely communication of changes or updates on timelines and deliverables
- Recommend and implement innovative process ideas that impact execution and cost efficiency
- Coordinate collection of product requirements from internal sources and external partners, translates into specific goals, and ensures the delivered products will meet the expectations of customers, stakeholders, and external collaborators.
- Apply decision analysis tools to analyze complex situations and recommend defensible actions and solutions.
- Exercise good judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Collaborate and deploy project management within internal cross-functional sub-teams
- Develop and execute integrated project plans, identify rate limiting factors and key dependencies
- Maintain program specific timelines and deliverables, including critical program, financial and communication milestones,
- Deploy and utilize project management databases to manage project portfolio, resources, and plans
- Develop tracking dashboards and alerts to identify any critical issues that can delay or impact program; work with program lead to develop mitigation plans
- PhD in bioengineering, chemistry, molecular biology or M.S. in engineering. Engineering background is preferred.
- 5 + years experience in biotechnology industry, start-up experience a plus.
- 5 + years Project Management experience
- Proven experience in managing product development and commercialization projects in a multidisciplinary research environment
- Working knowledge and experience with project planning software (e.g. MS Project, etc.)
- Strong experience in problem solving skills, analytical thinking, and visionary skills
- Experience in project or alliance management desirable, or managing high level cross functional teams or other external relationships
- Recent experience within a fluid or start-up environment is a plus
- Ability to influence teams, both internal and cross-company, in a matrix management environment
- Solid understanding of timelines, human resources, and budgets necessary for product development is preferred.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.