Scientist/ Sr Scientist, Biochemistry & Chemistry Process Development
San Diego, CA /
Operations – Process Development /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Element Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated Sr/ Scientist in Biochemistry & Chemistry Process Development to develop assays and processes. The position is integrated with our technology and product development teams, with a focus on pulling the technology out of the lab and enabling it in Operations. In this position, the candidate will lead assay development and product transfer activities for enzyme biology, formulations chemistry, and sample prep products. Candidate will also be responsible for vendor qualifications, specification development, stability studies, QC and production documentation (e.g. SOP, WI), and QC training/ transfer. The job is highly cross-functional across multiple departments and technical disciplines. The candidate must exhibit demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment with varied responsibilities and rapidly changing priorities. Candidate must have excellent communication skills and proven track record of interfacing between R&D and Operations teams.
The process development scientist will have strong biochemistry and molecular biology skills as well as experience in reagent life sciences field. Experience in NGS technology is desirable. The job requires hands-on laboratory work for assay and product development. Operational skills require the ability to structure manufacturing processes such as BOMs. This person may have experience in utilizing various project management tools, design tools, and statistical analysis tools to ensure the delivery of robust, reliable, and accurate processes to routine manufacturing.
- Develop well characterized, robust and reliable QC assays and processes to QC and manufacturing teams.
- Establish relationship between product requirements, product performance, and manufacturing capabilities to determine meaningful QC specifications.
- Support product commercialization at interface of R&D and QC/ Manufacturing.
- Design, plan and execute experiments, complete data analysis, present results and make recommendations based on data.
- Source and qualify external vendors.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements.
- Author QC and production documents. Train QC and manufacturing personnel.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, Molecular Biology, or related scientific discipline preferred
- 2-5 years experience for Scientist or 5+ years for Sr Scientist in relevant industry such as life sciences, medical devices, diagnostics, biotechnology, pharmaceutical or related scientific field
- Experience in a relevant life science product development & operations environment.
- Expertise in biochemistry, chemical biology, and/or molecular biology .
- Hands on in the laboratory.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Skilled in experimental design and statistical data analysis / visualization (e.g. JMP).
- Strong collaborative and team work attributes.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, and independently drive projects to completion with detailed and efficient execution and reporting.
- Knowledge of business process systems is a plus.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.