VP of Finance
San Diego, CA
G&A – Finance
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
The Expertise We’re Looking For
- BSc/BA in Accounting, Finance or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a plus
- 10+ years of finance experience in a leadership position
- Proven experience as a VP of Finance, Finance Officer or relevant role.
- Experience building out and leading finance functions or organizations
- Deep experience developing financial and strategic plans to maximize long-term value.
- Biotech industry experience preferred
- Experience working in a startup environment a plus
- Leader that will own the full spectrum of finance responsibilities
- In depth knowledge of corporate financial law and risk management practices
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Demonstrated expertise developing financial and strategic plans to maximize long-term growth.
The Skills You Bring
- You combine a strategic business perspective with strong project management and hands-on execution skills
- You demonstrate expertise in financial data modeling and performance measurement techniques
- You establish and foster effective relationships with senior executives
- You are a flexible, self-motivated team player who brings energy, enthusiasm, and intellectual curiosity to the role
- You build and motivate effective, results-oriented teams through solid organizational, coaching, and mentoring skills
- You possess strong analytical capabilities, excellent problem-solving skills, end-to-end thinking, and apply these skills universally to your work
- You demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills, including the ability to analyze complex issues, synthesize key points, and effectively communicate information in a concise manner appropriate for executive business decision making
- Deep knowledge of core business strategy frameworks, competitive analysis, market definition, and market sizing.
- Ability to rationalize and frame a portfolio of new business incubation efforts to align to strategic goals.
- Ensure that risk-adjusted project returns are adequate and synchronize with the vision, strategies, and tactics contained in the company business plan
- Ensure our business leaders, external partners, and board members are aligned and synergized about its underlying business strategy and future value creation opportunities.
- Drive optimal performance through the creation of appropriate metrics/KPIs that provide a forward-looking view into trends requiring management engagement
- Self-starter; ability to translate broad objectives into actionable activities and outcomes
- Track record of getting things done on time within tight deadlines and on budget.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity; cautious by understanding risks and threats.
- Ability to work in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Effectively communicates in various formats (written, numeric, charts, verbal)
- Authentic leader who identifies with Element’s values and possesses genuine passion for success and accountability for self and others.
- Ability to lead a matrix organization with both direct and indirect reporting lines.
- Manage and build a highly effective finance and accounting team. Oversight will include core accounting functions, financial planning and analysis, cash management, credit and collections, quarterly and annual plan preparation, and audit.
- Effectively manage external bookkeeping and accounting services
- Shows perseverance in the face of challenges while being aware of own limitations
Relationship and Influence
- Proven experience working in a complex environment where relationship building is critical
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proactively seeks the views of others before making decisions while possessing excellent negotiation skills to achieve win-win outcomes that are in best interest of the enterprise strategy.
- Fully effective negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Galvanizing through compelling influence while connecting by empowering others.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.