Senior Instrument Fluidics Engineer
San Diego, CA /
Engineering – Mechanical /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Seeking an experienced engineer who enjoys both developing life science instrumentation involving fluidic transport/management and their interfaces with consumables. This involves development of systems with pumps, valves manifolds, seal theory and practice based around low volume (mL) fluidic transport.
You will make an impact by working cross-functionally to deliver cutting edge solutions to customers to empower the next level of DNA sequencing.
- Development of instrument modules for fluidic handling and their interfaces with consumables including: Analysis of fluidic flow and impedances while characterizing the fluidic system, its volume flow rates, dead volumes, budgets and waste, etc. and optimization strategies for transfer in the small volume (mL) range.
- Contribute to overall development of system design through hardware selection and software development including: Integration of automatic fluidic controls and Breadboard, prototype, and system testing and troubleshooting. This role would include contributing to both instrumentation and consumable development.
- Building of prototypes, bread boards, and instrumentation and/or fixtures necessary for testing and their assembly.
- Collaborate with vendors, instrumentation & consumable engineering groups, and other internal groups to achieve individual and team goals
- Ownership and/or contribution to fluidic requirements, specification and of V&V documentation, reports, and execution
- Minimum Engineering BS degree with 8-10 years or more related work experience, with Engineering MS degree preferred
- Experience in the Life Science & Biotech industry a must such as sequencing, HPLC, flow cytometry, flow injection analysis instrumentation, and/or low volume reagent manufacturing.
- Experience in good engineering practices, tools, and processes, including DFM, FEMA, DHF or Six Sigma
- Understanding of product life cycle: concept through end-of-life
- Solidworks CAD experience preferred
- Enjoys hands-on prototyping, fabrication, and testing
- Good communication skills, ability to work well independently and in small teams
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.