Sr./Staff Software Systems Engineer
San Diego, CA /
Engineering – Software/Data Science /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Element is actively looking for an experienced Software Systems Engineer to join the Software Product Design team. The Software Product Design team’s goal is to define, guide, and verify seamless end-user experiences. You will help design a complete sequencing solution with the necessary software interfaces to the chemistry, hardware, manufacturing and downstream analysis systems. You will be responsible for working with stakeholders across the organization to provide the best solutions possible.
- Work as part of a team to design, implement, integrate and test the software that enables the development and use of Element’s sequencing instrumentation
- Work with the hardware and biochemistry teams to identify interfaces and establish specifications
- Work with instrument, cloud and analysis software teams to ensure interfaces are optimal and efficient
- Transform operational and customer needs into technical descriptions and design specifications for the software system
- Lead the requirement gathering process and perform requirement analysis and risk analysis
- Act as a liaison to the product manager, operations and development teams to coordinate inter-dependencies and ensure overall product delivery
- Assist in troubleshooting problems during development and product sustaining
- Drive system design forward with the end-user as a focus
- Own and maintain software requirements specifications and risk analysis documents
- Bachelor’s Degree in Programming, Computer Science or related field
- 3-8 years in the Life Science Industry with knowledge of DNA sequencing
- Experience with cloud SaaS development teams
- Experience with requirement generation and management
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience in participating in cross-organizational or inter-company collaboration
- Organization and multi-tasking skills that strike a balance among validation/verification, requirements analysis, customer interaction and project oversight
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.