Senior/Staff R&D Mechanical Engineer, Instrumentation
San Diego, CA /
Engineering – Mechanical /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Seeking an experienced R&D mechanical / product development engineer who enjoys developing life science instrumentation and their interfaces with consumables. This involves development of equipment with pumps, valves manifolds, fluidic sealing, mechanical subsystems and practices based around low volume (mL) fluidic transport as well as their mechanical & fluidic interfaces for handling of consumables.
You will make an impact by working cross-functionally to deliver cutting edge solutions to customers to empower the next level of disruptive DNA sequencing.
Responsibilities for R&D Engineer with focus on equipment/instrumentation and their consumables:
- Design & development of instrument modules and their interfaces with consumables including fluidics, motion, and mechanical subassemblies. Fluidic and mechanical analyses for characterizing performance and function, optimization strategies for small volume (mL) fluidic transfers, and manufacturing fixtures and/or machines.
- Contribute to overall development of system design through hardware selection and software development including: Integration of automatic fluidic controls and Breadboard, prototype, and system testing and troubleshooting. This role would require contributing to both instrumentation/machine and consumable development.
- Building, testing, and verifying prototypes, bread boards, and instrumentation and/or fixtures. Ownership of verification and validation of designs.
- Collaborate with vendors, instrumentation & consumable engineering groups, and other internal groups to achieve individual and team goals
- Minimum BS degree with 7+ years or more related work experience, with an MS degree preferred.
- Experience in the Life Science & Biotech industry a must such as sequencing, HPLC, flow cytometry, flow injection analysis instrumentation, and/or low volume reagent manufacturing.
- Product development experience, 5-8 years, of both low and medium volume consumables and medium volume commercially available instruments/machines.
- Fundamentally sound in good engineering practices, tools, and processes, including experoemce om dFMEA, pFEMA, DHF or Six Sigma, design for manufacture/assembly ability
- Understanding of product life cycle: concept through end-of-life
- Solidworks CAD experience preferred
- Enjoys hands-on prototyping, fabrication, and testing
- Good communication skills, ability to work well independently and in small teams
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.