Senior Process Engineer, Core Consumable
Operations – Process Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Our Protein Production team is looking for a driven, passionate professional to lead and develop our next generation processes with our products.
We are seeking a highly motivated team-player with excellent problem-solving skills and strong experience in protein expression and large-scale fermentation not only in Development (new product introduction) and in Operations settings too, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced protein production company. Versatility is a must, as tasks involve multiple different expression modalities, scales and purities. Good organizational skills and the ability to manage projects within a timeline are essential.
- Lead cross-functional project teams that are focused on the commercialization of a given molecule and includes the development and technology transfer of processes from laboratory scale à pilot scale à manufacturing scale (up to 200L fermentation)
- Design and analyze fermentation experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains and meet project goals for yield, productivity, purity specifications, and other process parameters.
- Optimize and adapt fermentation processes for operation at pilot and manufacturing scale, and troubleshooting including expression level, solubility, process stability, and product performance issues
- Lead, design & validate protein expression appropriate to the scale and required purity level for manufacture production.
- Lead and establish manufacturing infrastructure including cell bank and cell growth related instruments’ WI, BOM, SOP, MOP and MBR.
- Lead and build up system for the small and large manufacturing equipment maintenance including PM and calibration at protein production center
- The successful candidate will be required to interface with internal and external collaborators, make presentations to collaborators and senior management.
- BS/MS/Ph.D. in chemical engineering, bioengineering, or engineering physics or a related discipline, with more than 5 years’ experience for BS, or master with 3-5 years’ experience, or PhD with 1-3 years’ experience.
- Experience in scaling up fermentation processes and pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement is required.
- Proficient with at-scale bioprocess operations such as microbial fermentation, cell clarification/isolation, optimization of expression and solubility, and quantitative analysis skills is required
- Experience using tools and software to analyze large datasets
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects and strong project management, organization, facilitation, problem solving are critical
- Experience using the design of experiment (DoE) methodology for the optimization and characterization of fermentation processes preferred
- Experience with Bioreactor with CIP/SIP or single use bag is preferred
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.