Senior Systems Engineer- Instrumentation
San Diego, CA /
Engineering – Optical and Systems Engineering /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Provide front line instrumentation support for internal R&D teams
- Work closely with optical, mechanical, fluidic, electrical and other engineering teams to troubleshoot and repair instrumentation issues and provide design feedback
- Contribute to overall integration of instrument mechanical, motion, fluidic and thermal design
- Interface with development and operations teams to provide system level subject matter expertise
- Design, conduct, and analyze experiments to test and troubleshoot instrument performance and feasibility
- Lead or assist with complex, multi-disciplinary internal and external product performance investigations
- Collaborate with internal and external partners on subsystem design and transfer to manufacture
- Minimum BS degree in Mechanical/Engineering/Bioengineering or similar field and 5 years related work experience or PhD in similar field.
- Hands-on experience with optics, mechanics, fluidics, electronics, software, metrology, and automation
- Experience contributing to complex bioinstrumentation development
- Experience with data analysis in Labview, MATLAB, python or other programing languages or statistics software
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment and adjust to rapidly evolving technology
- History of working in multidisciplinary field including biochemistry/chemistry/biology/optics/mechanics/electrical/software
- Experience with microfluidic systems
- Familiarity and experience with motion control systems and instrument automation
- Experience with image analysis and signal processing
- Experience developing documentation for transfer to manufacturing
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.