Principal Scientist, Biochemistry
R&D – Discovery
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
This principal scientist position will report directly to the CTO and is part of a exciting well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences and IVD start-up company. This position will be responsible for the discovery of advanced technologies to facilitate the understanding of biology not limited to sequencing. Ideal candidates will be expected to design, validate, and execute high-throughput screening methods to unveil complex, enzyme kinetics as they relate to DNA replication, hybridization, and modification. The dynamic individual for this position should have a strong track record of solving complex biochemistry problems that include but are not limited to replication enzymes, sequencing applications, developing novel technologies for biotechnology applications, and leading characterization efforts to understand biochemical processes that will require protein evolution. The candidate must be able to provide project leadership, technical consultation, work direction, training to junior personnel, and define deliverables and timelines.
- Lead development of DNA modifying enzymes and polymerases with novel catalytic activities.
- Design, develop and execute experimental plans leading a team of scientists and associates.
- Develop high throughput screening workflows that reveal the kinetic mechanisms that govern biochemical interactions.
- Lead team to characterize enzyme properties needed for system performance.
- Deliver foundational understanding and advanced technology breakthroughs to meet project and corporate goals and timelines.
- Participate in intellectual property creation.
- Work closely with cross-functional department leads.
- 7+ years industry related experience and/or training;
- Proven track record of characterizing DNA interacting enzymes and polymerases for the biotechnology industry
- Experience in all aspects of high-throughput screening assays to reveal the kinetics of complex biochemical systems.
- Perform complex data analyses from HT screening assays.
- Success in this position requires frequent communication with peers and management. These relationships must be built on respect, integrity cooperation, teamwork and professionalism.
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to lead program teams.
- HT assays design to study biochemical reaction pathways.
- Pre-steady state enzymology
- Next-generation sequencing
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, bioengineering or a related discipline.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.