Senior Staff Engineer, Product Engineering
San Diego, CA
Operations – Process Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to co-develop our processes with our products. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch an amazing product! The Process Development team is integrated with our technology and product development teams, with a focus on pulling the technology out of the lab and enabling it in Operations.
Our product incorporates cutting edge technology from synthetic organic, nucleotide, enzyme, and surface chemistry disciplines, which makes this role highly integrative. This role will be working on developing product and system level capabilities that enable rapid product performance investigation and predictive performance monitoring.
- Drive deployment for the data pipeline to enable development and manufacturing traceability, such as databases, LIMS, and/or MES.
- Set the strategy for and drive development of informatic tools that enable rapid insights into product and process performance.
- Develop data trending and visualization capabilities for consumable and instrument manufacturing processes.
- Enable end-to-end performance monitoring from raw material through operational system.
- Drive complex, multi-disciplinary internal and external product performance investigations.
- Lead complex, system-level process improvement projects.
- Build documentation for user and system requirements, participate in product architecture and design, drive risk analysis, and support integration and testing activities.
- Successful candidates will have Educational background in chemical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or engineering physics, or similar fields
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree with 8-12 years’ experience, OR Masters with 6-10 years’ experience, OR PhD with 4-7 years’ experience.
- Experience in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement
- Experience in both Development (new product introduction) and Operations settings, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced Biologics or Molecular Biology environment
- Experience with team and/or project leadership.
- Experimental design and statistical data analysis and visualization (such as JMP or R) are required.
- Understanding of data structures and database architecture, including access and manipulation of large data sets is required.
- Programming and scripting experience in languages such as R or Python is required.
- Experience with machine learning and statistical modeling is a plus.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technology and business purposes is required.
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner is required.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.