Sr./Staff, Optical and System Engineer
San Diego, CA
Engineering – Optical and Systems Engineering
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Design, align, test, and characterize optical, illumination and opto-mechanical components to test imaging system performance
- Work with system and optical engineers to analyze imaging system performance and stability; propose, verify subsystem specifications and reports
- Contribute to overall development of instrument mechanical, motion and thermal design
- Collaborate with vendors and other engineering groups such as system engineering and consumables on optics subsystem design and manufacture
- Minimum BS degree in Physics/Biophysics, Engineering/Bioengineering or similar field and 3 years related work experience or PhD in similar field.
- Hands-on with optical and opto-mechanical components design and testing
- Experience with fluorescence imaging systems, optical elements such as laser, lens, prisms, optical mounts, sensors and/or metrology systems
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy preferred.
- Experience with data analysis in MATLAB, python or other programing languages
- Experience with image analysis and signal processing preferred.
- Experience with motion control and instrument automation
- History of working in multidisciplinary field including biochemistry/chemistry/biology.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.