Research Associate/Associate Scientist – Chemistry Product Development
San Diego, CA /
R&D – Small Molecule Chemistry /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Work closely with senior scientific staff to execute reactions that involve multiple complex materials
- Optimize chemistry protocols and develop standard operation procedures
- Assist troubleshooting problems in experiments in terms of assay design, protocol, reagents and characterization of materials
- Prepare reagents, buffers and calibration standards
- Perform quality control on reagents and products
- Execute experiments, compile and present technical updates, make recommendations for paths forward
- Document research progress in the form of internal and external publications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemistry, chemical biology, materials science, biochemistry, bioengineering, physics, or similar fields
- Prior scientific research lab experience is required (1 year minimum for research associate), 3-5 years experience required for associate scientist
- Basic algebraic, statistical and mathematical skills are required
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; strong organizational skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required
- Any experience in chemical biology, small molecule synthesis, bioconjugation, materials chemistry, chromatography, analytical characterization, assay development, experimental design, and data analysis are a plus
- Any knowledge and use of computer software for scientific purposes is a plus
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.