Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
San Diego, CA
Engineering – Mechanical
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Seeking an experienced individual who enjoys hands-on design and development of life science consumables and instrumentation
- You will make an impact by working cross-functionally to deliver high-quality products and instrumentation for internal and external customers
- Working within an R&D team of scientist and engineers, you will contribute to the development life science systems and products
- Both R&D prototyping and production scalability
- Contribution to product, process, and hardware requirements
- Support engineering team in design and development activities
- Contribute to the overall system’s design and development through vendor, hardware, and manufacture ability including
- Breadboard, prototypes, and system/product testing and troubleshooting
- Stand-alone or integrated equipment or tools for manufacturing.
- Collaborate with vendors, instrumentation & consumable engineering groups, and other internal groups to achieve individual and team goals
- Supporting in-house or product consumables & instrumentation
- Minimum BS degree with 3-5 years or more related work experience, MS preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years of work in life science. medical device, or pharmaceutical industry
- Design & Development Experience in:
- Injection molded and machined parts
- Sheet metal and mechanisms experience preferred
- Fundamentals in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing GD&T, ASME 14.5
- Experience in good engineering practices, tools, and processes, including DFM, FEMA (design & process), DHF or Six Sigma
- Understanding of product life cycle: concept through end-of-life
- Solidworks CAD experience preferred
- Enjoys hands-on prototyping, fabrication, and testing
- Good communication skills, ability to work well independently and in small teams
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.