Staff / Sr Staff Scientist – Assay and System Integration
San Diego, CA
R&D – System Integration
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on, and passionate professional to drive the integration of our cutting-edge products to improve genetic research and human health. The Assay and System integration team works closely with our technology and product development teams, with a focus on putting all the innovative pieces together and launching the amazing products.
This role works with multidisciplinary teams (chemistry, biochemistry, engineering, mechanical, and software) in the research, development, and integration of the microfluidics device systems. You will be technically leading the development and execution of system integration plans; the identification, documentation, and troubleshooting of problems, as well as the verification of potential solutions.
- Initiate, direct and execute scientific research and development through the management of a small team or individual studies.
- Hands-on leadership of a team of system and assay integration engineers/scientists who own and drive the system and assay integration
- Lead troubleshooting problems in experiments and suggest creative solutions to system-level issues.
- Collaborate with all functions within project teams (such as chemistry, software, engineering and manufacturing).
- Pro-actively manage team execution. Supervise one or more Research Associates, Scientist on project activities. Responsible for data analysis, presentation, and documentation.
- Ph.D. with 4-8 years’ experience; or Master’s degree with 6-12 years’ experience in successful, product development environment required.
- A broad scientific knowledge (instrumentation, optics, chemistry, molecular biology, software, etc.). Critical DOE skills. Six Sigma DFSS. Subsystem and system design space characterization. Strong problem-solving with creative and multidisciplinary approach.
- Detail oriented and highly motivated and proactive.
- Solid communication and writing skills required.
- Successful experience in integration and testing systems including a multi-disciplinary environment highly desired. Knowledge/Experience in NGS instrumental system preferred.
- People leadership and experience in fast paced industry.
- Large data set analysis skills. JMP, Python, Microsoft Excel, etc.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.