Sr. Staff Scientist, Biochemistry
San Diego, CA
R&D – Protein Engineering/Biochemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Staff scientist contributor for exciting well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences and IVD start-up company. Ideal candidates will work with cross-functional departments to understand enzyme requirements and build assays and characterization tools to determine if enzymes meet specifications. Candidates are expected to have the technical expertise and drive to work independently or as a lead of a small team to deliver understanding and mitigations to enzyme performance and stability. Characterization methods will employ both solution-based and surface interaction-based studies. Develops advanced methods/techniques for testing and evaluation. The candidate will also be expected to provide project leadership, technical consultation, work direction, and training to junior personnel. Works without appreciable direction on assigned projects/programs. Participates in determining objectives of assignments.
- Design and execute experiments to characterize biophysical and biochemical properties of polymerases and DNA modifying enzymes.
- Develop methods to characterize stability of enzymes used in NGS based applications.
- Develop quality control methods and documentation practices to qualify enzymes for commercial release.
- Build and lead a team to work closely with cross-function departments to support enzymology needs prior to and through commercialization of technology.
- 5+ years industry related experience and/or training;
- Proven track record of enzymatic characterization for the biotechnology industry.
- Ability to build and lead a team to deliver on corporate goals and timelines.
- Lead root-cause identification of enzyme performance and implement mitigations.
- Experience with bioanalytical protein methods and biochemical assay of polymerases and other DNA interacting enzymes.
- Success in this position requires frequent communication with peers and management. These relationships must be built on respect, integrity, cooperation, teamwork and professionalism.
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills.
- Biophysical protein characterization of polymerases
- Next-generation sequencing
- Molecular biology
- Reagent development
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or a related discipline.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.