Director, Business Development
San Diego, CA /
G&A – Business Development /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are seeking a highly motivated, data-driven and result-oriented Business Development professional to join the Element team. In this role, you will support Element’s vision and growth by applying the same level of innovation toward business matters as we do toward our technology and products. You would lead business engagements between Element’s internal organizations (including Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering, Software, Operations, Marketing and Commercial, Finance and Legal) and external partners to develop enabling, robust, and mutually-beneficial relationships. Opportunity to work directly with and influence executive-level stakeholders, both internally and externally, on creative deal structures, strategy and negotiations that are key for Element’s success.
- Manage multiple projects, deals, external and internal relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Manage deal process from sourcing, due diligence, negotiations, contract execution to partnership management
- Collaborate with internal teams (in particular, Finance, Legal, Marketing & Commercial, and executives) to develop value-based financial and terms
- Evaluate new commercial and technology opportunities, use data, analytics and financial models to present business cases and proposals to executives and champion business deals projects within the organization
- Apply solid decision making frameworks to analyze complex situations to help executives make decisions and understand trade-offs
- Understand and act in accordance to applicable licenses and intellectual property; monitor and ensure timely communication of changes or updates on scope, timelines, deliverables, models and negotiations to stakeholders, and resolution of any critical issues that can delay or impact deals
- Help establish business development best practices that improve execution and cost efficiency
- Other duties as assigned by Management from time to time
- Minimum of BA/BS degree in molecular biology, chemistry, engineering or a related field required
- Master's degree in Business Administration (MBA) and/or a PhD/Master's degree in a Life Sciences discipline highly desirable
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience working in business development, partnership management or corporate development in biotech / life sciences industry required
- Additional 2+ years of experience in a business development, management consulting, product management, or commercial role also required
- Proven experience in developing, negotiating and executing business deals for technology development, licensing and/or supply agreements, partnerships with third parties
- Knowledge of licensing, intellectual property and experience working with various types of customers (commercial or academic leaders) highly desirable
- Broad working knowledge of molecular biology, genomics, chemistry, engineering, and/or clinical applications is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex data and information and synthesize effective presentations and recommendations for different audiences including company executives
- Experience working in startup environments or fast-paced companies in competitive markets highly desirable; ability to focus on what matters and streamline everything else
- A great communicator and creative problem solver; can think both strategically and tactically
- A team player who is dependable, organized, collaborative, resourceful and open-minded
- Proactive, resilient, ambitious, and motivated by opportunities to learn and grow
- Domestic travel up to 25%
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.