Research Associate/Associate Scientist, Assay Development
San Diego, CA
R&D – Assay Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a passionate and driven research associate/associate scientist to join the assay development group at a well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences start-up company. The scientist will be involved in the development of library prep biochemistries and reagents for our new NGS technologies. Ideal candidates will have hands-on lab experience, good organizational skills, display a can-do attitude and be flexible about their activities. Expect to be part of a highly energetic and collaborative team.
- Support the optimization of workflow and reagents for novel NGS workflows.
- Implement and maintain process workflows and good work practices.
- Ability to follow SOP to carry out biochemical assays.
- Write and version SOPs and work instructions.
- Perform baseline runs and reagent QCs.
- Collaborate closely with upstream research teams and downstream ops/manufacturing teams as products evolve.
- Prioritize, design, plan and perform experiments.
- Analyze data, record and present results.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or a related discipline.
- 0 – 3 years industry experience.
- Common methods for DNA characterization such as PCR (endpoint, real-time, droplet), Bioanalyzer, capillary electrophoresis, fluorescent binding and activity assays.
- Experience in assay optimization
- Comfortable troubleshooting
- Well organized and good communicator.
- Good team player.
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Persistent and ambitious.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.